It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
(female)

Lmh85 HB User
Severe pain please help

I'm a 27 year old fit and healthy female that doesn't smoke. My upper right wisdom tooth has been coming through on and of for about a year. It has never given me any significant pain just a little soreness in my gum. Only the back half of my tooth has come through but it is so far back it has been grazing my cheek. The last week I have been in severe pain. My tooth is now almost embedded into the side of my cheek and if you look into my mouth you can not see it at all. The pain is not in my gums but cheek and now radiating Down into my lower jaw. I'm finding it extremely difficult to open and close my mouth. Eating is not possible unless the food is cut up really small. Im finding it very difficult to brush my teeth as if my toothbrush touches that side its excruciating. My glands in my throat on that side are also swollen addin to the pain I'm already feeling in my mouth. I went to the dentist on Wednesday who gave me Corsodyl mouthwash to stop infection and sent me on my way. I went to the doctors yesterday who told me to go to the
Dentist. I am not sleeping or eating and the pain has got me crying. What can I do? Today is Saturday and the doctors and dentist are shut until Monday.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Severe pain please help

Sounds like that wisdom tooth is abscessed, which means it should come out ASAP. I'm not sure why the first dentist didn't at least set up an appointment for the extraction. Are you on antibiotics? That won't cure the abscess, but it will keep it from getting worse.

Do a search for dental emergency clinics in your area, or call your dentist. Even if the office is empty, the answering machine may have instructions for after-hours emergencies. Or try an oral surgeon/dentist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
(female)

Lmh85 HB User

The doctor just gave me some ibuprofen and cocodamol. No antibiotics at all. I can't open my mouth very wide it physically won't open any ideas what could be causing that?

Old 03-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Happened to me once when my wisdom teeth were moving. The dentist said that the tooth had shifted and was pressing against the tendon that opens and shuts the jaw. It went away on its own after a few days.

You have signs of infection, though, so I suspect you have an abscess also. One way or another, you are probably going to lose your wisdom tooth soon. If you have any others that are impacted, you might as well have them all taken out at once. I did all 4 at once, under sedation, and it was no sweat.

Closed Thread