It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
(female)

Susan446 HB User
need positive comments on getting upper dentures

Hello, I am female and will be needing full upper dentures. Who can I talk to about this in a positive, caring way? Can you share some things that can assure me I am doing the right thing? I'm shaking right now and am in somewhat denial. I haven't smiled for years, so my ego is very low and cannot take in anything negative. Very scary! Thank you for helping. Any positive feedback will be deeply appreciated!

The following user gives a hug of support to Susan446:
devotedmom (04-05-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User
Re: need positive comments on getting upper dentures

Getting a denture is a very traumatic thing. Just being told you need to have it done can be devistating. The results of an upper denture are typically very good. Look toward the future and try to learn as much as you can as you approach this life changing event. There will be down times in the beginning but as you adapt to wearing the denture things will begin to take on a new form.
Whatever condition your teeth are in now, they cannot be good and people do notice things like this. Once you get your denture and get settled in with it people will forget how your teeth look now and they will focus on the new you.

Good luck to you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sandybeech For This Useful Post:
Susan446 (04-15-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
(female)

Susan446 HB User

you are very perceptive, Sandy. Yes, just being told he wanted to pull them ALL was almost too much to handle. I believe it's much more than ego, it's a helpless hopeless reality that takes so much courage to face. Of course, I haven't smiled for years and covering up and hiding is no way to live. I think the biggest hurdle to yet overcome is just the actual removing of my teeth which are protruding, but they are strong. It seems barbaric, painful and bloody. Sorry to be so graphic but my mind wanders there alot. My options are zero as this is a Public Health Clinic and the cost is minimal due to my income. I want to look forward to the summer but that is difficult to do. I appreciate you reaching out to a complete stranger.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

In my experience- getting psyched up and waiting for the big day was actually worse than the actual event. They will give you drugs to control pain and I think if you ask in advance they would give you something like valium to help keep you calm.

The change in your appearance will likely be dramatic so treat yourself to another change like a new hair style to help deflect comments about your new teeth. People generally do not make rude comments about something like this but they will often hint that they want an explanation.

Do you know if you will be getting an immediate denture?

Old 04-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
(female)

Susan446 HB User

yes, an immediate denture. Valium would be a good idea. The first thing is removal of another molar on the bottom to prepare for a partial...this he did not want to do, as he bluntly told me to let him pull them all. that is when I freaked out and said that my bottom teeth are strong, altho not beautiful so I could not handle pulling out strong teeth at this time. You are very knowledgeable so am wondering what your personal positive experience has been?

Last edited by Administrator; 04-17-2012 at 08:33 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Susan446 For This Useful Post:
walkersma (06-16-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

I have full upper and lower dentures. I've had mine about 11 years and I was given good advice by a long time family friend who had gotten her dentures when she was young too. I was 35. It is all in you attitude about how you will approach this and to have a good working relationship with your dentist. It is important that the dentist treat you as a person not just your condition. You need to be able to be open with him or her and to be able to come in for adjustments and relines as often as you feel you need to be seen- not according to their calendar. Since you have never worn dentures before it is all going to be new to you yet your new teeth will not come with an owners manual. Dentists make a lot of assumptions about what we know or should know or how our dentures should behave.

I suggest you take a notebook with you each time you go and write your questions down so that once in the chair you don't go brain dead and forget. Also as thing occur once you have your dentures you can make notes about them. Comments from friends and family whether positive or negative, your own observations, frustrations, successes and failures. Share all of this with the dentist, it will give them a better understanding of what you are experiencing.

Also, if you have a spouse, significant other, best friend- share all of this with them. Let them see the good the bad and the ugly of this process so that they can better understand and appreciate what you are going through.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sandybeech For This Useful Post:
Susan446 (04-17-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
(female)

pattif HB User

I did the same thing. Went back and forth allot. Only half smiled for years. Lots of tooth aches. But three idea of having dentures scared me. I'm only 41, I bit the bullet so to speak and did it today actually. Upper only. Yeah they feel alittle funny in my mouth but not horrible. I can talk ok but will take some getting use to, I expected that. Ate soup for dinner, went well. Not to sore. But let me tell you the best part.....everyone I go into the bathroom I look in the mirror and smile at myself, biggest I have smiled in years. Even took a pic with my phone and sent to several friends, they were amazed, it helped alot to get that encouragement from my friends. I look like a different person and feel like a new me. I know the eating will take work, and alittle on the talking. But I will be doing it with a full smile.

The Following User Says Thank You to pattif For This Useful Post:
Susan446 (06-01-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #8
(female)

Susan446 HB User

thank you Pat so much...I just smiled reading your post...I'm still frightened and have not bitten the bullet yet, but it seems inevitable. Did you have many teeth removed and did they place the denture in there immediately? how is/was the healing and any pain?

Susan

Old 06-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

nancy357 HB Usernancy357 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan446 View Post
Hello, I am female and will be needing full upper dentures. Who can I talk to about this in a positive, caring way? Can you share some things that can assure me I am doing the right thing? I'm shaking right now and am in somewhat denial. I haven't smiled for years, so my ego is very low and cannot take in anything negative. Very scary! Thank you for helping. Any positive feedback will be deeply appreciated!
I have lived with dentures for 20yrs, and when I got my dentures it was so nice to be out of pain. What I can tell you may want to consider implants to keep your jaw bone from receding. In the US it isn't something I cant afford.

I have never regretted getting dentures. I hear the tops are easier to deal with then the lowers. I have never had the problems I have heard with not being able to eat food with the exception of nuts.

It is all about the attitude you choose to take. No one knows i have dentures unless I tell them. For me it was a positive thing I am scared now of having implants with crowns.

Look into your options and good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to nancy357 For This Useful Post:
Susan446 (06-03-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
(female)

TammyBlocker HB User

Susan Have you decided to do it yet? I have a top denture that I recieved about a year and a half ago. I had bad teeth for years. I had all my top teeth capped and/or bridged. Those lasted approx. 20 years and the last 5 or so years I started having pain again and the gums were not any longer suited for covering the caps. So needless to say I had not smiled big in years. I felt like my world had came to an end when I was told short of spending $15000.00 my only other option was a top denture. I took a zanax on the day of having my teeth pulled and my top denture placed immediately in my mouth. I was like the person in another post that said they couldn't quit looking in the mirror and smiling at the new teeth. I love mine. I am pain free and after a while I've been able to eat anything. And, I mean anything. I had 9 teeth pulled and never felt a thing. I pray you go ahead and do it if you haven't and you will do fine!

The following user gives a hug of support to TammyBlocker:
Susan446 (07-01-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to TammyBlocker For This Useful Post:
Susan446 (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #11
(female)

buncen HB User

Hi Susan, I just had an upper plate put in about a month ago, I too was very nervous about it and kept putting it off, till finally I had no choice bu to do it. They pulled 8 teeth and put the denture in immediately.
I am still going back to the dentist for adjustments but Im able to eat with them in, I still cant sleep wiht them but im working on it.
Believe me you will be so happy once you have it done, like everyone else said you can actually smile again!! No more toothaches either! Just believe in yourself and your strength will get you through it. Good luck

Old 07-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #12
(female)

Susan446 HB User

Tammy, I have not moved forward yet. I wish you were my friend and I wish you were here. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Susan in Montana

Old 07-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #13
(female)

Susan446 HB User

Buncen, thank you for taking the time to share. You have no idea how your words lifted me up!

Susan

Closed Thread