It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Harmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB User
Removable denture

I unfortunately just lost a tooth. I already have one implant I've had for 12 years and it is still going. The new tooth I lost has severe bone loss so it doesn't sound like I will be able to have another implant. I'm not thrilled with having a bridge because my two teeth on each side aren't in the best of shape as it is. I keep hearing bridges only last about five years & the people usually end up losing the teeth holding up the bridge like a domino effect. Since I have so much bone loss, the dentist wants me to find out about having bone grafting even before having a bridge. He sure didn't tell me all this before he pulled my tooth! He just acted like before a bridge would be just fine & the very best thing to do. He acts like a bridge is better than an implant, but he doesn't do implants so naturally he is going to say that. I don't think they can add enough bone for me in this one area because it is that extensive.

Anyway, back to the removable denture. I was told by the dentist and his assistant I wouldn't like a removable denture. I get annoyed when anyone tells me what I will like or not like. This sounds like it might be the better way, not only cheaper but not having to grind down on my two other teeth. Does anyone else wear one of these and are they that bad? I'm sure I'm not going to like it, but I could get used to it. I don't think I have much of a choice. I don't like wearing contact lenses, but I do it over having the lasic surgery which I'm scared of doing. Thanks for any advice it would be greatly appreciated. It's just amazing what a disaster it can be to lose a tooth. I'm scared my implant may not last much longer; so far so good, but I've read they usually last 15 yrs. and I'm almost up to that. Other times I've heard they can last a lifetime. I've heard if you lose it you can't get another one in the same spot, so that also concerns me.

This is all a result of me not going to the dentist for 8 yrs. I think they should teach kids in school just how important it is to take care of their teeth. I took them for granted and now I'm paying for it literally. It's one thing after another now. I have a temporary crown on another tooth which is kind of iffy also because it was cracked. My teeth actually look nice, no one would guess what bad shape they are really in. I'd like to keep what I've got and am scared of losing more or having bridges.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
(male)

lilliegin HB User
Re: Removable denture

I have worn partials for over 50 years (teeth overlapped and had soft teeth until I was over 30 years old even though I drank lots of milk - lived on a farm and we had cows). Partials are a solution that is not perfect but they can be made so they are supported only by really good teeth. You can always go to other options later. The good part is you can remove it to clean the gums and teeth. I just got my 4th set which causes sore spots like the last set did. The 2nd set were perfect (no sore spots) - made by a one in a million dental labs for a new dentist from USC dental school. The mouth does move around to make partial dentures work from not so good dental labs. I do not know how to find an excellent or a really good dental lab (the dentist from USC moved to Placerville, CA)

Closed Thread