It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
(female)

brandinjamie HB User
extreme fear getting ready for wisdom tooth removal

I have a TERRIBLE fear of the dentist. I haven't had any really bad experiences or anything, just have always been afraid of medical stuff but especially dental procedures. Just going in for a cleaning makes me nervous. It makes me a nervous wreck to have them keeping my mouth open, not being able to do anything, and I know it sounds ridiculous but I always feel like my jaw is going to break or go out of place or something! I'm going in soon to get a one bottom decayed wisdom tooth out as well as the molar right next to it. It's fully erupted and there's no indication it'll be at all difficult to pull but it doesn't matter. They plan to use IV sedation (VERSED) which I have never had- or anything like it. So I'm scared of that too lol! The thought of them putting that stuff in me, me being out of it and not in control scares me, even though it's better if I am out of it- otherwise they'll have a hard time on me! And then the thought of what they have to do in there... yikes- everything about it scares me to death! To anyone who's had VERSED, what exactly is it like???

Old 04-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
(female)

mulcahy408 HB User
Re: extreme fear getting ready for wisdom tooth removal

i've never had versed or iv sedation. when i got my wisdom teeth taken out i had laughing gas plus novicane (sp??) i didn't feel anything during the procedure but once you're home and the numbing wears off it does hurt, just keep taking your pain medication and drink lots of water and it shouldn't be too bad. it sucks because your cheeks are swollen like a chipmunk and you can't eat anything only soft and liquids. but otherwise it's not to bad. you'll get thru it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

tanyasue HB Usertanyasue HB Usertanyasue HB User

Honesty? I've never felt so good in my entire life as when I was given Versed. I remember telling my surgeon that she could do anything she wanted to me- and I'm such a control freak I won't even drink. Once I got that, seriously all my anxiety went away and I totally relaxed.

If you are that nervous, I suggest asking for anxiety medicine for the night before.

I was 20 when I got my wisdom teeth out, and honestly I was in so much pain before surgery that after surgery was no big deal in comparison. Just stay on top of your pain medication after and you'll do great. And dental fears are not ridiculous, I totally understand. My personal opinion is that it's because they are literally in your face and that makes it scary.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
(female)

kelsa23 HB User

Hi. I had my 3 wisdom teeth extracted in 2009 when I was 20. They used that in an IV to put me to sleep. The only thing that hurt just TINY pinch was the IV going in. after that I was pretty much OUT. I woke up feeling pretty darn good. No big deal. Don't worry! I've had so many surgeries... the best part is sleeping through it and waking up like it's five minutes later. A little groggy but it goes away.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
(female)

brandinjamie HB User

Thanks Everyone. It was today and it was just fine. I was SOOOOO scared for days before, panicking, not sleeping well, worrying constantly. They gave me that Versed and it's the BEST stuff ever. I remember small parts of it here and there- but I thought it took about five minutes and swore I was awake. But turns out it was 30 minutes, and they had to break the wisdom tooth and cut into the gum and stitch it up. I don't remember a single tool even being put in my mouth lol! I do remember a couple of vague things, like I remember the dr saying "this isn't going to be easy", and I remember my tooth breaking into pieces and I didn't care one bit. I actually had absolutely no emotion about what tiny bit I did hear. It was just facts and then I was out again, and really didn't even realize if I was in or out or what was even happening. Very strange, but nice! I felt good and peaceful when I came to, relaxed in recovery and just felt good all day. It does hurt in the jaw area and the stitched up area but I think if I stay on top of the pain med it'll be ok... thanks again for the encouragement!

Old 04-05-2012, 04:49 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

tanyasue HB Usertanyasue HB Usertanyasue HB User

LOL, I told my anastheologist that I finally understood why women would sell their bodies for drugs- that I had never understood why people got high before, but this was the best I had ever felt in my life.

I'm so happy things went well for you!

Old 04-05-2012, 07:24 AM   #7
(female)

Annvdb HB User

Don't be afraid I have had all 4 surgically removed under narcosis (I dont know if thats how you write it, im dutch). And everything went fine, afterwards took painkillers.

The only side effect was that food gets stuck more easily behind back teeth + I developed calculus/teeth stone for some reason. Before that I never had it... So that was quite strange.

But if they need to get pulled, then they need to get pulled

I just read you already did it today, hehe. Well, mine was more drastic: all 4 at once and they had to drill in my cheek bone and stuff. So it took quite a while before it was healed and my cheeks were like a hamster

Closed Thread