It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
(male)

southsider81 HB User
Impacted wisdom tooth very close to nerve, advice appreciated

So I've had a lot of facial and jaw pain for a couple years now. I passed it off as anxiety, being that I'm in school, and past injuries. Found out a while ago that I have all 4 wisdom teeth in with 2 being impacted. So the pain has been getting bad. To the point in which I can't focus my eyes on small print, nor sleep.

Went to the dentist 3 times in the last year or so. First dentist was awesome and told me I need to get them out. He moved his practice far away so I needed to find a new one. So went to a dentist by my house, he told me I have TMJ and that there's no way that the wisdom teeth are causing my pain. Reluctant to believe him I waited and told myself, he's the dentist. A week or so goes by and my back molar cracks in half horizontally, pulp exposed and everything. Facial pain is at an all time high, along with having neck/shoulder pain really bad, trouble concentrating on objects, fluttering/ringing in my ears(especially when I look up or sideways, bleeding gums, etc.

This past friday I went to a new dentist and he said that the wisdom tooth is pressing up on the molar and it's right on top of the nerve in my jaw. He said it's going to be a very complicated surgery bc of the molar and the proximity to the nerve. He said he couldn't tell me what the best way to go about it would be and that I should consult with an endodontist, which I called immediately. Since I'm full time in school and have part of the semester left I'd like to take care of the molar first and then get the tooth removed. Although if this pain doesn't go away I don't think I'll be able to make it through school. What should I do? Obviously I'm going to talk to the endo, but I want to have a plan of what I'd prefer in the case that I have options.

Do I just have the molar removed or get a root canal? Can I medicate the pain for a few weeks-month until school is over safely? Or do I do it all right away and try to heal fast enough to get back into the game? Any advice or info on this type of surgery would be greatly appreciated, as I'm nervous after reading about the potential for nerve damage from surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread