It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
(female)

Kanona HB User
Temporary/immediate dentures

I've read through some of the posts here. Hopefully I can get some advice or even just reassurance. I had my extractions done March 15th, with immediate dentures put in right after. I've been back a few times for minor adjustments for sore spots, although I've since realized that every one of those sore spots has been due to a piece of bone working its way through. I still have a good 5 or 6 spots like that, that I'm aware of.

Sore spots aside, the dentures are driving me nuts. The bottom plate, the part right under my tongue, feels huge, like my tongue isn't sitting where it should be at all. I can't even speak without accidentally moving that plate. I haven't been able to eat anything solid yet with them in. The bite feels wrong (which I know might just be a matter of me getting used to them), plus any pressure I put on them causes some pretty serious pain where the sore spots are.

The top plate, the part above my front teeth, is huge as well. I mean, clearly visible and obvious when I'm wearing them as my whole upper lip sticks out like I'm wearing a mouth guard.

I'm honestly miserable. I have an appointment this Friday for a soft reline. Is that really going to make much difference? I mentioned the size issues at my last appointment and my dentist just kept reminding me that they are temporary and everything is going normally.

Thank you!

Old 04-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
(female)

bisja HB User
Re: Temporary/immediate dentures

Kanona I am going through the exact same things! I had my all my top teeth pulled a week and a day ago, and 6 teeth on the bottom so I have what they call a flipper on the bottom and top plates. They hurt so bad they are out more then in,my jaws hurt if they are in or out. I can not eat with them in I can barely swallow with them in. I hate the way they fit and right now hate the way they look! I am so bummed out. I go this Friday to have some adjustments made. I am beginning to wish I would not have gotten the immediate dentures and waiting the three to four months. Are you doing any better?

The following user gives a hug of support to bisja:
Kanona (04-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
(female)

Kanona HB User

You know, the soft relining made a HUGE difference. I'm still struggling/relearning pretty much everything, but it IS getting better. I'm able to eat more things now. I've even started eating some things that I hadn't eaten in years because of the condition of my teeth (yay granola!) It's not perfect, but it's SO much better than it was a couple of weeks ago. My biggest issue now is finding the right adhesive to keep my lowers in when I eat. It's better than it was (the soft relining is a huge fit improvement) but it can still be tricky and highly annoying when they decide to move around while eating.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
(female)

bisja HB User

I was wondering when they do this soft reline how do they do it? I am glad to hear its getting better that gives me hope I have been so down that I can not even wear these teeth for more then a few minutes. How about the lower part have you gotten over that feeling of the plastic being so big that your tongue has to sit on a hump?

Old 04-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
(female)

Kanona HB User

The lower one is getting better. Seems to me over time, as the swelling goes down, it's sitting lower, leaving more room for my tongue.

For the soft reline they actually fill the denture with a gel like substance and place them back in your mouth to bite down. It's essentially like having the impressions done again. Only this time, the substance stays inside the denture. Creates a better fit and a softer feel against your gums compared to the hard plastic you're dealing with now. They told me as I'm still healing I'll have that process repeated every 6 weeks or so.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kanona For This Useful Post:
bisja (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
(female)

bisja HB User

well I went to get adjustments and that helped whole lot with the pain issue but can tell now after a couple days things are still not right, it feels like they sit too far forward like they should be pushed back aways its hard to explain but its like you said like a big mouth guard or feels like I my top lip is like a monkey lip lolol like the teeth are not fitting tight against the very front. good grief, also if I press my tongue up against the back of the top plat it loosens them in the front do your do this? Sorry to be asking so many questions but this is driving me nuts.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
(female)

Evelyn99 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisja View Post
well I went to get adjustments and that helped whole lot with the pain issue but can tell now after a couple days things are still not right, it feels like they sit too far forward like they should be pushed back aways its hard to explain but its like you said like a big mouth guard or feels like I my top lip is like a monkey lip lolol like the teeth are not fitting tight against the very front. good grief, also if I press my tongue up against the back of the top plat it loosens them in the front do your do this? Sorry to be asking so many questions but this is driving me nuts.
Mine do that, kind of. I got my first soft liner about a week ago, and now my front teeth meet but not the back. I believe that is because of the healing of gum tissue and bone (bone recedes, but it also fills in if you had abscesses, which I did.) The info I got from my dental office said that in the first several months after the immediate denture goes in, changes in the gum are rapid. Probably nothing you can see from the outside, but certainly enough to impact how your dentures fit.

I'm not sure about the process where you are, but where I went, after several months (when you're completely healed) they redo the dentures so they fit perfectly without a soft liner. (The procedure won't be exactly the same for me, since I'm getting implants, but I know that's how it works.)

Old 05-03-2012, 07:17 AM   #8
(female)

Kanona HB User

Well, almost 2 months after I can tell you that I'm finally noticing the appearance of the top denture improving. I'm assuming as the swelling continued to reduce and the gum/bone reshapes it'll just getting better. This is honestly the first time since I had the extractions done in March that I've felt even remotely hopeful that I'd ever look 'normal' again.

Of course, this morning I woke up with the whole right side of my face swollen, but that's a whole different issue (no idea what, yet).

Old 05-03-2012, 07:46 AM   #9
(female)

Evelyn99 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanona View Post
Well, almost 2 months after I can tell you that I'm finally noticing the appearance of the top denture improving. I'm assuming as the swelling continued to reduce and the gum/bone reshapes it'll just getting better. This is honestly the first time since I had the extractions done in March that I've felt even remotely hopeful that I'd ever look 'normal' again.

Of course, this morning I woke up with the whole right side of my face swollen, but that's a whole different issue (no idea what, yet).
Ugh, hope your swelling resolves quickly.

How many soft liners have you had up to this point? Did you notice a change with each one?

Old 05-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #10
(female)

Kanona HB User

Just the one. My next is scheduled for May 18th.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #11
(female)

Evelyn99 HB User

Ah ... I will probably be getting one around then. They said because of my mouth and also the denture, I would probably need one sooner than usual. (And they'll also be redoing my temp denture in a few months because they didn't get enough surface area on The Dreaded Lowers.) I'm hoping it will be thicker in the back; I believe when I had mine done (about a week ago) I still had a lot of gum swelling in the molar area, which has since gone down, so chewing really dislodges them. Gosh I miss food.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #12
(female)

Kanona HB User

I swear it gets better. I didn't believe it myself. Mine have loosened quite a bit since the soft lining (so I'm really looking forward to the next one) but I -can- eat just about anything now. I tried a bunch of adhesives and for now have settled on Fixdent powder on the top and Fixodent food seal gel on the bottom. Not sure why but the powder just never worked well on the bottom for me but it super easy to use and works great for the top (although immediately after the reline I didn't really need any on the top for a little bit.)

Old 05-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
(female)

Evelyn99 HB User

Ooh ... I've been using the Fixodent powder too. Well, at first I used Sea Bond, which was pretty good, but it doesn't work with the soft liner because there's not enough room in the lower, and I don't want anything pushing my upper down (trying to reduce the Martha Raye look). Anyway, I have also found the powder works great for the upper but not so hot for the lower. I might try the food seal gel.

One concern I have about the powder is that it has zinc in it, and really, you're not supposed to have a lot of zinc over an extended time period. I believe I will try to find the Poligrip version as, according to what I can find, it does not contain zinc. But definitely I am going to buy some Fixodent Food Seal. Thanks for the tip!!

Last edited by Evelyn99; 05-03-2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Removing unnecessary quote

Old 05-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #14
(female)

bisja HB User

I go on the 9th to have adjustments made, will be so happy they are so loose even with adhesive , plus they are really looking weird just too much teeth in the top! Hope he can get this straightened out. He told me around the 3 month mark is when they do a hard reline which will make the tops permanent and will get a new permanent bottom partial. Can not eat well with them as they just do not fit right, on the 9th will be one month since I had extractions.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #15
(female)

Evelyn99 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisja View Post
I go on the 9th to have adjustments made, will be so happy they are so loose even with adhesive , plus they are really looking weird just too much teeth in the top! Hope he can get this straightened out. He told me around the 3 month mark is when they do a hard reline which will make the tops permanent and will get a new permanent bottom partial. Can not eat well with them as they just do not fit right, on the 9th will be one month since I had extractions.
Oh, bisja, I feel your pain. I had my extractions and immediate denture three weeks ago, and the mouth healing and changes definitely make dealing with the denture challenging. Until yesterday, every time I tried to chew, my lower plate dislodged. It was maddening! (My lower plate needs redone because the impressions weren't deep enough, but I've been encouraged to wait another month if I can because the results will be much better.)

Based on what Kanona said, I picked up some Fixodent Food Seal, and also I switched to the Poligrip powder because it doesn't contain zinc. (I'm only going to be wearing dentures until my implants can be put in, but since I'm not sure how much zinc is too much and I don't want to wake up with nerve damage one day, I'd prefer not to overdo it on the zinc for even a few months.) Unfortunately, I accidentally picked up the Food Seal with Scope, and no way am I gonna want that taste in my mouth all day, so I am going to take it back and exchange it. (Food Seal has zinc, but I figured at least I wouldn't have it in my uppers.) So yesterday, I went ahead and used the new Poligrip powder in both my upper and lower. To my surprise, it works much better than the Fixodent powder! I was actually able to eat a real meal. Admittedly, instead of a pork chop like everyone else was having, I had a hot dog with no bun, but I ate fruit salad, tabbouleh, cottage cheese, and olive bread. But still, I ate real food without having the lower pop off! It was awesome. Later in the evening, I did have to reapply because it popped off when I tried to eat a cupcake, but that's still a much better result than before.

My point is that I really encourage you to try some different denture adhesives. Apparently not all work the same for all people, so the only thing to do is keep trying different ones to see what works best. I think in these trying times while our gums are still changing rapidly, a good adhesive is going to be our best friend.

Closed Thread