It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Sarah532 HB User
Infection after temporary crown...

Hi all! About three weeks ago, my dentist (who is excellent!) put a temporary crown on one of my molars up top (I think it was #3). I've never had crown work done before, so this is all new. Anyway, I had an appointment for this Tuesday the 12th to get the permanent one on. A few days ago, the right side of my mouth started to hurt, and the weird part was the actual crowned tooth isn't hurting...it's mostly my lower jaw and my lymph nodes are very sore, and then about a day and half ago, out of the blue I got a horrendous sore throat. I went back to her yesterday, and she started me on an antibiotic, Clindamycin because she figured I had an infection. Now I'm not getting the permanent crown on Tuesday, instead she is sending me to see an Endodontist (or however you spell it!) to evaluate me for a possible root canal on that tooth (I've never had a root canal either). I do have SOME cold/hot sensitivity with that tooth, but it's not bad at all. She just fears the infection is from that tooth and wants me to get looked at further. My question is, is this normal? Does this sort of thing happen often? And my biggest question is, if I do have an infection would it spread to the throat like it did? I've had sore throats before but nothing like this. I was even thinking about taking a trip up to the urgent care to get tested for strep. Anyway...if anyone can help or offer advice I'd greatly appreciate it, thank you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

tanyasue HB Usertanyasue HB Usertanyasue HB User
Re: Infection after temporary crown...

In my experience a tooth can cause a sore throat, because the infection is right there. I think if it's strep the antibiotics you're on for the tooth will help. It could be that the tooth was more far gone than the dentist realized and the crown prep set it off. X-rays cant always show the whole picture. The endodontist can determine if a root canal is needed or not.

Hope you feel better soon!

Last edited by Administrator; 04-23-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: Infection after temporary crown...

so sorry you are going thru this and I just wanted to post that my son's friend had something similiar w/ an wisdom tooth extraction infection and it got bad and his whole face swelled up so the most important thing is to stay on top of that infection if you think something ain't right then go to the dr. I think this guy had to have an IV of antibiotics before it was ll over with. Not trying to scare you but just want you pay attention to that part of it. If you think you need to go to Urgent care then go. CJ

Closed Thread