It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
(male)

aidan2387 HB User
Semi-broken wisdom tooth :(

Fairly straight-forward; Several months ago I noticed a tiny chip in my lower left wisdom tooth, which also has a filling in it, and 2 nights ago the inside-rear quarter of it broke away, so you can see a small part of the side of the filling.

Since then I've brushed and used mouthwash as I normally do, but started using a saltwater mouthwash because the gum is already starting to feel slightly strange around it (right now it feels absolutely fine, but whenever I notice it with my tongue I freak myself out ).

Luckily my 6 month check-up is on monday, so the timing couldn't be more perfect. My main worry is that my dentist will want to extract the tooth (and the corresponding top wisdom) or re-drill the filling so it isn't exposed in the corner the way it is currently. Would any sane dentist do either or just leave it since it's filled and only broken in one corner unlike my other wisdoms?

Hopefully you can all put my mind at ease before I go to see my dentist on monday.

Also, hello!

Old 04-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: Semi-broken wisdom tooth :(

You are the patient, so ultimately it's your decision whether or not you want this tooth worked on. My personal feeling is that if it's not hurting you, no need to have it pulled.
If the sharpness is bothering your tongue, it's worth having it refilled and restored to the shape it was in before it started breaking. IF it is breaking because of decay, I say have it removed rather than trying to refill it.

The Following User Says Thank You to slenderella For This Useful Post:
aidan2387 (04-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
(male)

aidan2387 HB User

Thanks, I think I'll see if I can just get it refilled, but as it came in a bit wonky the now-broken quarter was doing most of the chewing, so I'd rather have it tapered down and smoothed out a bit instead of rebuilt.

Thanks again for the speedy reply

Old 04-24-2012, 12:40 AM   #4
(male)

markdcavedds101 HB User

Hi,

I have a friend that has the same problem with yours and he is also worried but he hasn't done anything yet because there is no pain or something like that. It's kinda weird because you can see something inside the broken tooth. So I'm asking, what did your dentist advice and what did he/she did to you?

Old 04-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
(male)

aidan2387 HB User

My dentist said that I was smart to use saltwater mouthwashes while the gum was moving to cover the gap and that since it isn't paniful and she couldn't see a single thing wrong with it in it's current state (or any of my teeth, woo!) she won't do anything unless I ask, however, should the day come when it becomes painful she will most likely remove it. Hopefully that day will never come.

Last edited by aidan2387; 04-25-2012 at 02:53 PM.

Closed Thread