It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
(female)

kati2012 HB User
Apicoectomy - Healing - Scared

Here is a little background. I had trauma on a tooth many years ago I ended up have an apicoectomy and #9. Besides this, I've never had any dental issues. Fast forward 27 years.

I woke up the beginning of the year with tooth pain that seemed to be coming from #10. I went to my dentist and he seemed to think it was also coming from #10. I had a root canal (first one ever). It was so painful while he was doing it. I had pain for a number of days following the root canal and I also then developed a fissure on my gums.

I went back to the dentist and he said it was probably some "left over" bacteria and thought my body would reabsorb it. It did not go away, so I went back in and he took another xray and thought maybe it was coming from #9. He referred me to an endodontist.

I went and saw the endodontis and he said there was multiple issues going on. The root canal at #10 had to be redone and he had to take the old filling out of #9 with another apicoectomy. There was also bone loss at #10 and some at #9. He does not know if #9 affected #10 or vise versa.

I had the root canal on #10 redone and a week later had the apicoectomy on #10, this has now been 2 weeks. When he was in he said he also scraped the bone to try and get it to regenerate. Here is where my anxiety continues. My gums are still swollen and red. My teeth feel almost "numb" like and that there is pressure. My #8 is hurting now (I don't know if this is my imagination). My upper lip feels weird against the gum and it doesn't feel right when I smile or pucker my lips.

I went in at 10 days for a follow up and he said everything was healing fine and looked good. That night I had a fissure filled with puss (I hate that word). I poked it and let it drain. I called the doctor on Monday and he said not to worry about it.

I'm afraid that I don't feel "normal" yet. I'm afraid they are going to have to pull the teeth (and 9 and 10 are one of your front teeth and the one next to it).

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #2
(female)

kati2012 HB User
Re: Apicoectomy - Healing - Scared

Sorry another thing I forgot to mention is it is still quite sore under my left nostril and the upper part of my lip when I press on it. Also the fissure is still there.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
(female)

hbic3 HB User
Re: Apicoectomy - Healing - Scared

I think you might have to give it a little bit more time to heal. An apicoectomy is serious business. They cut into the bone and it takes time for it to heal. As a side note, I had an apicoectomy done 15 or so years ago, and still get puss pockets from time to time. They drain painlessly and a few more years will go by before I get another. Your teeth feeling numb, unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean, are supposed to. The tooth is now dead and it shouldn't have any feeling in it at all. In fact, the dentist should have put a vibration device on it during the course of your therapy to be sure the tooth was dead and you felt NOTHING before completing the job. This device that they use is designed not to vibrate the teeth next to it so they can verify that you're not feeling the vibration in the nerves belonging to the teeth next to it. If you tap on it, and you feel something, it's not that tooth, it's the nerves running next to that tooth responding. If it feels weird against your lips, it's because, in the course of the root canal which an apicoectomy is, just from the bottom up, the position of the tooth changed. That's normal and should in most cases be expected. You have to consider the angle the dentist is working at to accomplish this upsidedown root canal. I have only in the last 3 years NOT had any pressure in my apicoectomy site. It was irritating to say the least, that for so many years I still had such discomfort in those teeth(Two of them were done). The only other thing I think maybe your dentist could consider is another round of antibiotics, maybe a stronger one. There is severe misconception about root canals of any kind, that they will "Cure" the infection and you will never have discomfort or pain or any other kind of problem with that tooth/teeth ever again. Soooo not true. A root canal or apicoectomy is to remove the infection and "save" the tooth which is in it'self a misnomer because once it's done, the tooth is dead. But what they mean is to keep the original tooth in your mouth since once dead it would fall out otherwise. It's not to get rid of pain or discomfort. Expect Years of discomfort. Years. If it doesn't take years before you have comfort in those teeth again, consider yourself one of the lucky ones. But for now, do give it more time to heal before you decide that something isn't right.

Closed Thread