I have done a root canal, around 18 months ago abroad. About 3 months ago, gum near that tooth became swollen. I have had antibiotics a couple of times. It is still there. Recently, it becomes a bit bigger, then explodes while brushing and bleeds for a minute or so. Gets better for a week or so. I went to a dentist, he took a x-ray and suggested to redo the root canal procedure (around 1500$), he said it might get better, otherwise he will send me to a specialist. What do you suggest? Not a easy money for me, but if I have to pay it I will. What happens in the worst case scenario? Can it SUDDENLY get seriously infected and cause some serious trouble (heart issue or whatever) or would it be gradual. Worst case scenario, will I die in 5 hours someday because of it, or it gradually gets worse and then I have time to take care of it (I know it is a ridiculous question but I dont have any serious discomfort now. Can I wait for serious discomfort -- my main concern is financial)?
It probably would NOT cause sudden death. However, if it swells up more and becomes painful, especially if you develop fever, or swollen glands on that side of the jaw, get care within 24 hours.
If the dentist said wait and see, you could probably wait and see. But start saving up for the repeat root canal, in case it becomes necessary. Meanwhile, be careful about your brushing, flossing, etc.