It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
(male)

Dannnnnn HB User
Sedation

Hi guys.

I haven't made a trip to the dentist for many years mainly due to terrible early experiences, but one of my teeth has become problematic. It's barely got anything left now because I've left it so long, and has become extremely painful. I am also getting a fever and experiencing other negative effects which I believe are a result of this problem tooth.

I suffer from GAD [generalized anxiety disorder] also, and the dentist/needles is probably my biggest fear. I have been prescribed valium by my doctor, although I have never taken any of it, due to my anxiety.

Thinking about it now, I feel as though I'm going to have to be sedated to the point where I'm unconscious, or atleast don't know my own name or where I am. The dentist I plan on going to offers nitrous oxide, but I've done a bit of reading and some people are saying nitrous oxide makes people that suffer from GAD even more anxious... I have no idea if there's any truth in that though.

Is it okay to take both the nitrous oxide and the valium together?

Any help overcoming this level of anxiety would be appreciated. My idea at the moment is taking lots of drugs, closing my eyes and having very loud music in my ears.

Thanks

Last edited by Dannnnnn; 04-23-2012 at 03:14 PM.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:28 AM   #2
(female)

Avalanche109 HB User
Re: Sedation

Ask before you take the nitrous oxide with the valium. I took valium once for a root canal. It was great!!! I felt like it wasn't doing anything. BUT... I had no fear during the procedure. Just make sure what the right dose is for you.
Also you will feel much better after you get it fixed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2012, 01:29 AM   #3
(female)

Avalanche109 HB User

Ask before you take the nitrous oxide with the valium. I took valium once for a root canal. It was great!!! I felt like it wasn't doing anything. BUT... I had no fear during the procedure. Just make sure what the right dose is for you.
Also you will feel much better after you get it fixed.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #4
(female)

Evelyn99 HB User

Three weeks ago I had ALL my teeth removed. I was very nervous beforehand, and although I don't have GAD, because I have an autoimmune disorder that has for years been giving me dental issues, AND because I once had a dentist read me the riot act for not taking care of my teeth (even though he knew I had a disease), I did/do have anxiety around dental care specifically.

That being said, I had 4mg Ativan before going in, which is similar to Valium but not as long-acting, and although at the time I thought "hmm, this isn't really doing much," afterward I realized that I was calm through the whole procedure. Truly calm, not just stoic. No heart pounding, etc.

One thing that always helps me, and maybe it will help you too, is to think of the impermanence of a situation. That is, "Yes, they're putting needles in my mouth, and yes, it hurts a bit, but it's only going to be for a minute. I can tolerate anything for a minute."

I hope this helps. Just remember the whole thing will be over soon, and you'll feel SO much better.

Closed Thread