It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
(male)

toothlessman HB User
Waited 6 mos for dentures, cant have one!

What a year, this was the year I'd smile, and eat like a regular person again. SO I won't name names as the guy did all he could, but here's some key things to look into and know before you get your upper remains pulled if a key eyetooth holding bridge in breaks.

1. How shallow is your palate? Man is this important, as we now learn. See if its shallow you'll never get suction and you will always need to glue in.

2. What was your bite? Over, under, none. See once the top teeth are gone if you don't remember this they are absolutely guessing, and boy does that go wrong!

3. How high are your ridges? (outer edge of upper gums) Big key here in holding them in, low and curvy is bad, straight and high is good.

Yes, so I had oral surgery in October, waited the 3-4 months, got my bottoms fixed, only need a back partial there, and we started impressions. 4 weeks worth, in wax, you name it. Things we said came back wrong, more delays, and all the while I knew something was off. I hoped in the end, after running out of patience, that when I said make em it would be tolerable. $1200 for that piece of the puzzle later, all cash, and nope! Awful, and it all goes back to insufficient historical data on bite. Even if they were right they fall out anyway. I was venting today to him about all the issues, he started yelling at me for being disrespectful, we all calmed down, but that was basically it. Once you have an experience when you're upset after 5 weeks of waiting, and you vent, and he takes it personally and yells at you, no going back. They started making new impressions, yes he said retry was on him $ wise, but I excused myself to go to the bathroom, left the denture there, and just kept going. Called them tonight to send me a refund less their time and costs, whatever, I've lost more than 1700 before, and maybe I'll get the refund. (Had $500 down on bottoms they hadn't started yet) I'm more upset about finally getting them and now seeing it isn't in the cards. I think I abandoned the mission, as well, as I just don't have it in me to go through another 5 weeks of hoping, only to be heartbroken again as it again didn't work. I just did that, can't repeat it all for another let down.

So if a pro cant make it work, and is guessing bites and it's not right and I can't close my mouth after 5 impressions made, why could another pro do better? Nope, I say he can't. So I stay toothless and reclusive for a few years until I save 50k to do the ct scan method, which is really the only way as implants take a year and can fail anyway, or just reside myself to being toothless. Amazing what you can eat with no teeth, once those gums toughen even steak! (Filet mignon only, but steak!) Another plus to being toothless is ya basically don't want to eat, I dropped 30 pounds in 6 months, I'm skinny again like when I was 30!

Anyway hope the top 3 tips help someone about to go 'denture', and thanks for listening to the rest!

Last edited by toothlessman; 04-24-2012 at 06:28 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to toothlessman:
Avalanche109 (04-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2012, 01:23 AM   #2
(female)

Avalanche109 HB User
Re: Waited 6 mos for dentures, cant have one!

Wow! That really stinks. Can you go to a dental school? Usually they have them in the cities. Maybe they would have the latest techniques. Plus they're less $$.
That dentist sounds horrible. He yelled at you for being disrespectful. Ha! What a jerk. If you don't get your $ back I'd find a way to report them. Maybe to the Better Business Bereau. ( sp)
I know you're terribly frustrated, but don't give up!

Old 04-24-2012, 01:24 AM   #3
(female)

Avalanche109 HB User

Wow! That really stinks. Can you go to a dental school? Usually they have them in the cities. Maybe they would have the latest techniques. Plus they're less $$.
That dentist sounds horrible. He yelled at you for being disrespectful. Ha! What a jerk. If you don't get your $ back I'd find a way to report them. Maybe to the Better Business Bereau. ( sp)
I know you're terribly frustrated, but don't give up!

Old 08-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
(male)

toothlessman HB User

Ok so here's the update, I didn't give up. First on last dentist he refunded me 1/2 of the cost of the denture he made.

Then I started with another one, final product in, $1350, and it's more unwearable than the 1st. The teeth flair out into my upper lip, and press it out to the point of comical status. Unreal, I'm wearing the 1st, I won't even go back and get the sore spots removed from the 2nd one as I'm never going to wear it anyway.

So $1950 or so later, still no smile I want anyone to actually see.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:59 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

riptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB User

You might try a Clinical Dental Technician. These are dental technicians who have had training in the clinical side of dental prosthetics and should be cheaper than dentists.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
(female)

Tropic HB User

Wow, I feel so bad for you. That is just crazy. Is this for full dentures? or just partial? If just partial, why don't you just go full? I am here wanting to start the teeth pulling process, but my dentist won't let me get not one tooth pulled. He says I'm going to my grave with my teeth (but they are rotting and this is just too expensive to continue on like this) one is killing me right now as I type this. I just took an 800 mg. ibuprofen. I just figured out that I spent maybe close to $2,000 on this one tooth which is killing me. All this is just too painful and expensive. I want this tooth OUT....
Oh sorry, I vented about me but you are in worse shape than I am. I am trying to learn the procedure for false teeth and what people are going through. I know how you feel just walking out of there, as I had a fight with my dentist once and I had to go to another dentist. It was not good. Maybe you should try to make amends with your dentist and keep going with it, until they get it right.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
(male)

toothlessman HB User

Riptoff, yeah they appear to be mostly or only in the UK. We have places like Aspen and what have, they cheap dentures, but I've read those reviews.

Tropic, yeah full top. Thanks for the kind words, and no the other dentist gave me a partial refund and kept the unit, I had no complaints on giving it back. It's amazing 2 dentists can mess up so badly, and for completely wrong reasons. Fact is when it's in wax you can't tell anything, so I have no faith a new guy can do it better. I work from home and don't see people much anyway, having the freaky first denture will just keep me inspired to stay home the rest of the time. Once ya hit 45 what's the difference anyway, lol.

Last edited by toothlessman; 09-05-2012 at 05:17 PM.

Closed Thread