It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
(female)

ChelseaR864 HB User
22 years old & need dentures...

Hello all.
I'm 22 years old, and have severe (SEVERE!) tooth decay. I honestly don't know if anyone else is worse than me. Some decisions I made when I was younger really caused a extremely dramatic change for my dental health. That and it's in my gene's: my Mom, Dad, grandparents, my Aunts needed them, although they didn't need them until later in their life's (40s/50s).
I cannot afford dental implants, nor do I have the time for that type of process. I've prolonged my life long enough (I won't bore you with my life story...that would take too long). I'm so self-conscious about my teeth the way they are now. I'm CONSTANTLY covering my mouth with either my hand or hide behind my arm. My speech is getting worse, its getting hard to understand me sometimes (with like F's and S's especially). A lot of people think I'm just quiet when that's not the case at all, I just don't want to talk/laugh because I'm so ashamed of my mouth. But I have a few questions,and would like some opinions here.
My plans are to join the Marine Corps as soon as I get my teeth fixed. I'm just very cautious about a full set of dentures because I'm worried about them falling out during boot camp or even worse when I'm out on active duty somewhere. Is there anything I can do to prevent that from happening?
How long is the recovery process after the procedure?
This one's really just asking for your opinion. I'm single. Excluding the missing teeth and tooth decay I consider myself a good-looking girl. I'm just worried that I'll never find anyone because of the fact that I'll have dentures here soon. Are they obvious? Could they come flying out during a conversation? (THIS ONE'S QUITE A PERSONAL QUESTION..IF YOU DON'T WANT TO ANSWER IT YOU DON'T HAVE TO) What about being intimate, is it different?

I'd appreciate any response I get. I'm completely horrified that I even have to ask these questions, but I'm dealing with the hand I was dealt with. Thanks.

The following user gives a hug of support to ChelseaR864:
bj1774 (04-28-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
(female)

Jaye66 HB UserJaye66 HB UserJaye66 HB User
Re: 22 years old & need dentures...

Is it all possible for you to avoid a lower denture? They tend not to fit very well. They do not have the suction that an upper denture does. If it were me I would consider getting implant supported dentures. You would not have to worry about them falling out and no one would know unless you told them. The whole process is not nearly as long as it used to be. Because you are so young you will probably need to have many relines or new dentures over the years because as we age we loose bone and our gums shrink. It would be worth the time and money. You would need less implants for a denture. Hope this helps!

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaye66 For This Useful Post:
ChelseaR864 (04-28-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

tanyasue HB Usertanyasue HB Usertanyasue HB User

I don't know the answers to your questions, but I just wanted to say good for you on taking control of things in your life. When you need extensive dental work it is completely overwhelming.

Keep in mind that if a man falls in love with you, the teeth thing won't really matter.

The Following User Says Thank You to tanyasue For This Useful Post:
ChelseaR864 (04-28-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
(female)

frisbeefreak HB Userfrisbeefreak HB Userfrisbeefreak HB Userfrisbeefreak HB Userfrisbeefreak HB User

Keep in mind that if a man falls in love with you, the teeth thing won't really matter.[/QUOTE]

So true. I'm an attractive female and fell in love with a man with a few missing teeth!!

Last edited by frisbeefreak; 04-27-2012 at 06:46 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to frisbeefreak:
ChelseaR864 (04-28-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
(female)

ChelseaR864 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye66 View Post
Is it all possible for you to avoid a lower denture? They tend not to fit very well. They do not have the suction that an upper denture does. If it were me I would consider getting implant supported dentures. You would not have to worry about them falling out and no one would know unless you told them. The whole process is not nearly as long as it used to be. Because you are so young you will probably need to have many relines or new dentures over the years because as we age we loose bone and our gums shrink. It would be worth the time and money. You would need less implants for a denture. Hope this helps!
The only thing that concerns me w/ that is time and money. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of either one. I may just get uppers first, and then go to boot camp and they can fix my bottoms. Only problem with that is they take the cheapest way out, and implants are exactly cheap.
When I do go to the dentist I'll see if its a possibility for bottoms. I think I could live w/ the upper dentures. I just hear terrible things about bottoms.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

tanyasue HB Usertanyasue HB Usertanyasue HB User

Can you go to another country? Not sure where you're located, but I went to mexico and had good luck. I know that there are a ton of border towns that cater to Americans. It's roughly 1/3 the cost. That may be something to look at?

Old 04-29-2012, 12:00 AM   #7
(female)

bj1774 HB User

I just wanted to let u know that I understand what your going through. Although I don't exactly know how mine rotten teeth came about. My teeth were so bad that I only had a few nubs as my front teeth and the rest were even or broken up into the gums. On the 18th of this month I was finally able, after many, many years of living like this, to get all of my teeth surgically extracted. The surgeon I went to gave me 6 months. Now I feel so much better but now need dentures. Good luck to you! It's worth it!

Old 04-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
(male)

lilliegin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaR864 View Post
Hello all.
I'm 22 years old, and have severe (SEVERE!) tooth decay. I honestly don't know if anyone else is worse than me. Some decisions I made when I was younger really caused a extremely dramatic change for my dental health. That and it's in my gene's: my Mom, Dad, grandparents, my Aunts needed them, although they didn't need them until later in their life's (40s/50s).
I cannot afford dental implants, nor do I have the time for that type of process. I've prolonged my life long enough (I won't bore you with my life story...that would take too long). I'm so self-conscious about my teeth the way they are now. I'm CONSTANTLY covering my mouth with either my hand or hide behind my arm. My speech is getting worse, its getting hard to understand me sometimes (with like F's and S's especially). A lot of people think I'm just quiet when that's not the case at all, I just don't want to talk/laugh because I'm so ashamed of my mouth. But I have a few questions,and would like some opinions here.
My plans are to join the Marine Corps as soon as I get my teeth fixed. I'm just very cautious about a full set of dentures because I'm worried about them falling out during boot camp or even worse when I'm out on active duty somewhere. Is there anything I can do to prevent that from happening?
How long is the recovery process after the procedure?
This one's really just asking for your opinion. I'm single. Excluding the missing teeth and tooth decay I consider myself a good-looking girl. I'm just worried that I'll never find anyone because of the fact that I'll have dentures here soon. Are they obvious? Could they come flying out during a conversation? (THIS ONE'S QUITE A PERSONAL QUESTION..IF YOU DON'T WANT TO ANSWER IT YOU DON'T HAVE TO) What about being intimate, is it different?

I'd appreciate any response I get. I'm completely horrified that I even have to ask these questions, but I'm dealing with the hand I was dealt with. Thanks.
Go for partials and have the teeth that have to be pulled taken out. If you can afford crowns on teeth that can be saved do that. Ask dentist, if you do not have one now, for references for people that he has had partials made for. Dentist Labs make the partials using molds the Dentist take. If you have dental insurance then go to a dentist that is covered by the insurance.

Closed Thread