It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
(female)

BrokeBack13 HB UserBrokeBack13 HB User
Removal of Wisdom Teeth without Anesthesia?

Hey guys, unfortunately, I have got to get all 4 wisdom teeth out, I'm 27, and they never really fully grew all the way in. They have broken through the gums, and are not considered emapacted or slightly empacted.

I guess I have pretty bad cavaties in 3 of the 4, so they have to come out.

Problem is, insurance doesnt cover me to be put under complete anesthesia, just a general non-intravenous sedation, so I'll be awake, but totally numb.

Anyone have this procedure done the way I'm describing?

I HATE the dentist, HATE even going in for a cleaning, and am absolutely TERRIFIED to get this done, and even more TERRIFIED at the thought of being fully awake.

So, how bad is it, and what should I expect?

Old 05-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
(female)

Evelyn99 HB User
Re: Removal of Wisdom Teeth without Anesthesia?

When I had my wisdom teeth out lo these many years ago, it was under general. However, I just had all remaining teeth extracted using nothing but numbing agent (I assume Novocain) and Ativan. It went pretty smoothly. The Ativan, which I though wasn't doing anything at the time, actually helped me remain quite calm.

Of course, I don't know how sedated you will be, exactly, but I was fully awake throughout, and truly it was fine. Could you maybe listen to music or an audiobook on your iPod during the process to distract yourself?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Since they aren't impacted, it should only take a few minutes to remove them. If you have heard of people having a difficult time with wisdom tooth extractions, those are the impacted ones. This isn't a whole lot harder than unplugging a toaster.

My husband had to have a couple teeth pulled, and it wasn't a big deal. If you want, though, you could ask for an anti-anxiety pill to make it easier to get through it.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
(female)

aqua12 HB Useraqua12 HB User

I have had straightforward wisdom tooth removed whilst not being out under general anaesthetic, honestly was over and done with before I even realised, no problems what so ever.

Have also had 1 removed whilst under general because it was impacted... and that was a different story purely because it was impacted, making in more of a surgery.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
(female)

Jaye66 HB UserJaye66 HB UserJaye66 HB User

You could ask for nitrous oxide. It does not put you to sleep, but would make you feel more relaxed.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
(female)

The way they submitted it to my insurance was "Non-Intravenous Sedation" so, I honestly have no idea what that means. The receptionist told me that I would be awake, but a little groggy kind of.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:23 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi,
That sounds like they will use nitrous oxide. You should do fine with that. I had four teeth out and implants placed at the same time with just nitrous oxide and novocaine.

I was very relaxed and the whole process was over before I knew it. All they did was put a little cup like thing over my nose and I was sooooo relaxed they could have cut off my head and I wouldn't have cared! I didn't feel a thing.

Hope this helps. Good luck and let us know how you do.

My best to you,
Gellia

Old 05-04-2012, 06:37 AM   #8
(female)

Evelyn99 HB User

Ahhh ... better living through chemistry.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
(female)

The dentist didnt mention anything abiout the gas, so I'm pretty sure I wont be getting that, but it sounds mighty nice. I think they are just going to numb my mouth, but then I dont understand why the receptionist told me that I would be awake, but a little groggy.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #10
(female)

Evelyn99 HB User

If you're going to be groggy, they'll definitely be giving you something. Because the numbing agent is just that: a numbing agent.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi again,
Why not give your dentist's office a call and ask? Then you will know for sure. I know many here will be able to give you a better answer that way.

Gellia
P.S. Nitrous Oxide is wonderful, IMO. I got novocaine first and then the nitrous via a small nasal cup. I really didn't care what happened after that. I could tell what was going on. I could hear my front teeth "clink" in the dish as they came out. I felt no pain at all and then had four implants immediately placed. I felt like I slept. It was wonderful because I was then wide awake and it was all over.
If they give you nitrous, you'll do fine. Some dentists also use an oral anti anxiety medication before and then you wait a bit while it takes affect. Perhaps that is what your dentist will do but you should clarify. Then you'll know for sure.
Best to you!

Closed Thread