It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
(male)

dsea5 HB User
wisdom teeth problem

hey,
new guy here im 20 years old and im here with some questions on wisdom teeth. for the past month ive been having some jaw/mouth problems. for a wile now probably sense ive been like 14 my jaw has been popping and also locking up, and most of the time i cant open my mouth very far but recently my left ear has had a fullness feeling. (i can hear fine). anyway i went to the dentist and they told me i need all 4 of my wisdom teeth out and possibly my top left 12 year molar pretty much whats happening is my top left wisdom tooth and my top left 12 year molar kinda got stuck and are i guess pushing on each other they arent even poked threw the skin its basicly like having a little mountain of skin with 2 teeth stuck under it.(forgot to add the top left were all my problems are the teeth them self dont hurt). the bottom left wisdom tooth isint poked threw the skin ether, there are all kinda stuck except my bottom right one. my dentist said there's alot of pressure on my top left because of the 2 teeth being stuck so im wondering if with thos wisdom teeth problems in the top left of my mouth if it was normal for wisdom teeth to cause ear fullness and also once in a wile i will have some pain that goes from the side of my head like in front of my ear up the side of my head it only last for like a millisecond and is int that bad. but besides that i feel totally fine. just had to ask these questions i cant believe how much wisdom teeth can be a problem. sorry if this is hard to read i typed it kind of fast.

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: wisdom teeth problem

Hi,
Yes, your wisdom teeth can create all those problems esp. since it sounds as though they are impacted. Not much you can do except have them extracted before they do some real damage to your surrounding teeth and jaw.

Good luck. let us know how you do.
My best to you,
Gellia

Old 05-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
(female)

kay7221 HB User

Hi dsea5,

Usually all third molars are close to being errupted or obviously on their way in by age 20. †The jaws have grown to their full adult size, so crowding can be an issue. Especially if those rear molars are tilted more than usual. †If the second molar is also tilted, sometimes it can be locked in too, as has apparently happened in your case.†

If so, the 1st molar on your top left side may be getting a lot of force from having the combined pressure of 2nd *and* 3rd molars bearing down on its back surface. †If the crown of the 2nd is pushing onto the root(s) of the first molar, this can jeopardize the health of the first molar by destroying its roots, given enough force and time. †The first molar is a tooth you would definately would like to keep for life!

Sometimes the 2nd molar can aright iteslf and errupt fairly normally by itself once the 3rd molar is extracted and there is enough room for it to maneouver. †Other times it can be directed into place as it errupts with the temporary placement of a minor orthodontic appliance. †It's also possible that the 2nd is tilted too far to save and should come out with the 3rd molar. †Your dentist will be able to tell.

The short pains and odd sensations in the front ear area might improve once the left 3rds are out, especially that lower left 3rd molar. †Most people can open their mouths around 4.5-5cm without discomfort. †(Note that by having all of your 3rd molars you really must open quite wide in order to brush properly!) That situation would inprove if they are extracted. †

The auriculotemporal nerve that is giving you these sensations could also be firing due to some disfunction of the capsule surrounding the jaw joint (TMJ) . †The jaw joint looks like an inverted ski slope that the top of the jaw bone (mandible) slides down as the mouth opens. †If that slope is not very steep, of if the disc in the joint is a little of the optimal location, then your jaw range of motion might be on the limited side, and the popping and locking you describe can occur. †The whole joint is wrapped up in a tough capsule and is innervated by this nerve. †

If the ear sensations continue and are bothersome after extractions, they could be investigated as a separate issue. †if your dentist is not comfortable treating it, he/she will definately know dentists who treat TMJ problems.

In case you were wondering, even though your lower right 3rd is apparently coming in OK, whenever any other 3rds are being treatment planned for extraction, all four 3rds are often extracted at that time, unless there is some reson why a 3rd needs to stay (like if it was a bridge anchor). †This is because we don't really need that 3rd molar for chewing, and it is difficult to keep this tooth clean. † The likely outcome is often decay between the 2nd and 3rd down the road, ultimately jeopardizing both teeth later in life. †The bone gets brittle with age and so there is the possibility of a very difficult extraction for people above 50. †At your age, the bone is the most flexible it will ever be, and that is another reason 3rd molars are typically extracted in young adulthood -- very few complications and much easier to remove! †Hope this helps and Good Luck!†

Old 05-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
(female)

kay7221 HB User

Hi dsea5,

Usually all third molars are close to being errupted or obviously on their way in by age 20. †The jaws have grown to their full adult size, so crowding can be an issue. Especially if those rear molars are tilted more than usual. †If the second molar is also tilted, sometimes it can be locked in too, as has apparently happened in your case.†

If so, the 1st molar on your top left side may be getting a lot of force from having the combined pressure of 2nd *and* 3rd molars bearing down on its back surface. †If the crown of the 2nd is pushing onto the root(s) of the first molar, this can jeopardize the health of the first molar by destroying its roots, given enough force and time. †The first molar is a tooth you would definately would like to keep for life!

Sometimes the 2nd molar can aright iteslf and errupt fairly normally by itself once the 3rd molar is extracted and there is enough room for it to maneouver. †Other times it can be directed into place as it errupts with the temporary placement of a minor orthodontic appliance. †It's also possible that the 2nd is tilted too far to save and should come out with the 3rd molar. †Your dentist will be able to tell.

The short pains and odd sensations in the front ear area might improve once the left 3rds are out, especially that lower left 3rd molar. †Most people can open their mouths around 4.5-5cm without discomfort. †(Note that by having all of your 3rd molars you really must open quite wide in order to brush properly!) That situation would inprove if they are extracted. †

The auriculotemporal nerve that is giving you these sensations could also be firing due to some disfunction of the capsule surrounding the jaw joint (TMJ) . †The jaw joint looks like an inverted ski slope that the top of the jaw bone (mandible) slides down as the mouth opens. †If that slope is not very steep, of if the disc in the joint is a little of the optimal location, then your jaw range of motion might be on the limited side, and the popping and locking you describe can occur. †The whole joint is wrapped up in a tough capsule and is innervated by this nerve. †

If the ear sensations continue and are bothersome after extractions, they could be investigated as a separate issue. †if your dentist is not comfortable treating it, he/she will definately know dentists who treat TMJ problems.

In case you were wondering, even though your lower right 3rd is apparently coming in OK, whenever any other 3rds are being treatment planned for extraction, all four 3rds are often extracted at that time, unless there is some reson why a 3rd needs to stay (like if it was a bridge anchor). †This is because we don't really need that 3rd molar for chewing, and it is difficult to keep this tooth clean. † The likely outcome is often decay between the 2nd and 3rd down the road, ultimately jeopardizing both teeth later in life. †The bone gets brittle with age and so there is the possibility of a very difficult extraction for people above 50. †At your age, the bone is the most flexible it will ever be, and that is another reason 3rd molars are typically extracted in young adulthood -- very few complications and much easier to remove! †Hope this helps and Good Luck!†

Closed Thread