It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
(female)

toothtrouble HB User
trouble with molar number 18

Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble with my number 18 molar. Has anyone had it extracted without putting in an implant/bridge etc? I would like to know of personal experience of not having this tooth any more? Do you have trouble with shifting teeth etc. I am trying to figure out if it is worth saving.

Thanks
toothtrouble

Old 05-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
(female)

kay7221 HB User
Re: trouble with molar number 18

hi toothtrouble,

the lower second molar does not need to be replaced in all cases. there are a couple of important considerations though.

first, do you have a first lower molar and is it in good condition? and does that first molar have an opposing top molar (also healthy) so that you gat full chewing (mashing) function on that side. a person does not need all 6 molars on one side in order to have adequate chewing function, thank goodness!

second, if you still have the wisdom tooth on that side, just know that it will start to drift frontward, possibly at an angle that matches to the other top molars without causing some interference. relatedly, and third, is whether or not you have an opposing tooth for 18. that upper could start to "super errupt" if there is no lower tooth in contact with it at all. (typically, 18 is in contact with both 15 and 16, and so 15 and 19 can "hold each other in place if 18 must be extracted.) there are other occusal patterns, and yours may be a little different. so the dentist will be able to tell you whether a "place holder" (implant) is adviseable (and show you why) for either function or to prevent drifting. it all depends on the layout and condition of your other remaining teeth and can be easily determined from casts and xrays. good luck and hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2012, 05:08 AM   #3
(female)

toothtrouble HB User

Thanks for your response kay 7221.

I have all of my teeth except for my wisdom teeth. What you are describing sounds very accurate.

I am hoping to also hear from someone who has actually had molar #18 removed to find out if their experience is what you described.

Thanks again.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
(female)

dentalfairy HB User

18 is important and teeth do shift... the upper tooth will come down and the one in front of it will lay down.... teeth like to be next to each other and bite agains each other or they will look for their partners by shifting....dont go looking for cheap dentists or you will get cheap work...

Closed Thread