It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
(male)

MouthPain4Life HB User
3 weeks after wisdom teeth removal pain has returned worse than ever

On 4/23 I had 3 wisdom teeth removed. The upper and lower left were impacted and the lower right was erupted and removed without problems. I remember the lower left had to be sawed, drilled, broken and pulled out in pieces. A large egg/knot formed below that site on my jawline which has receded almost completely but is still there to this day.

I smoke but cut back during the first week and didn't get a dry socket even though I thought I was at one point. The pain stayed pretty constant even after a full 10 days. Eating was difficult and I started to get the most foul smells coming from the sockets on the left when irrigating with the syringe.

I went back to the dentist on 5/7 due to the pain and saw my primary DDS (the oral surgeon is only there once a month). He said it looked like I may have an infection but I seemed to be healing well,(no dry sockets) placed me on a stronger antibiotic and chlorohexadrine glucosamate(sp) rinse instead of warm salt water. He then scheduled an appt. for today with my OS to have him look to be sure. The meds and rinse seemed to be working and the pain was mostly gone for a few days.

Over this past weekend the pain reaturned with a vengance. On a pain scale it is a constant 5-6 with spurts of 8-9.
The jawline on the left has constant throbbing that shoots intermittently to my inner ear and up to my temple. This is accompanied by all the teeth on the left side being extremely sensitive and downright painful to the slightest touch, as well as an incessant ringing in my left ear that gets louder the wider I open my mouth.
The pain is worse now than it was 3 days after the teeth came out. The lower socket is noticeably smaller but the top socket(facing out towards my cheek, doesn't seem to be healing and very large food particles are still getting stuck in there every time I eat.. The inner cheek is tender and slightly swollen and I'm worried there is something else wrong.

The first time I talked to the OS on the phone he seemed completely disinterested in my symptoms so I am looking to see some answers for when I return in case he just tells me to get over it and that its normal again. From everything I have read this isn't normal, especially 21 days post op.

So does any of these symptoms sound familiar?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by MouthPain4Life; 05-14-2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: forgot to ask my question

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
(female)

dentalfairy HB User
Re: 3 weeks after wisdom teeth removal pain has returned worse than ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouthPain4Life View Post
On 4/23 I had 3 wisdom teeth removed. The upper and lower left were impacted and the lower right was erupted and removed without problems. I remember the lower left had to be sawed, drilled, broken and pulled out in pieces. A large egg/knot formed below that site on my jawline which has receded almost completely but is still there to this day.

I smoke but cut back during the first week and didn't get a dry socket even though I thought I was at one point. The pain stayed pretty constant even after a full 10 days. Eating was difficult and I started to get the most foul smells coming from the sockets on the left when irrigating with the syringe.

I went back to the dentist on 5/7 due to the pain and saw my primary DDS (the oral surgeon is only there once a month). He said it looked like I may have an infection but I seemed to be healing well,(no dry sockets) placed me on a stronger antibiotic and chlorohexadrine glucosamate(sp) rinse instead of warm salt water. He then scheduled an appt. for today with my OS to have him look to be sure. The meds and rinse seemed to be working and the pain was mostly gone for a few days.

Over this past weekend the pain reaturned with a vengance. On a pain scale it is a constant 5-6 with spurts of 8-9.
The jawline on the left has constant throbbing that shoots intermittently to my inner ear and up to my temple. This is accompanied by all the teeth on the left side being extremely sensitive and downright painful to the slightest touch, as well as an incessant ringing in my left ear that gets louder the wider I open my mouth.
The pain is worse now than it was 3 days after the teeth came out. The lower socket is noticeably smaller but the top socket(facing out towards my cheek, doesn't seem to be healing and very large food particles are still getting stuck in there every time I eat.. The inner cheek is tender and slightly swollen and I'm worried there is something else wrong.

The first time I talked to the OS on the phone he seemed completely disinterested in my symptoms so I am looking to see some answers for when I return in case he just tells me to get over it and that its normal again. From everything I have read this isn't normal, especially 21 days post op.

So does any of these symptoms sound familiar?
Thanks in advance

Old 05-18-2012, 12:01 AM   #3
(female)

dentalfairy HB User
Re: 3 weeks after wisdom teeth removal pain has returned worse than ever

hope by now you went to see another oral surgeon who will care more about your problem.... bad taste smell and food impaction all lead or are related to infection... infection in the mouth can lead to swelling pain fever and even stroke.... if you are a diabetic or have other illness it can mean that you are a slow healer and need to keep rinsing with chlorehexedine which is a blue liquid given by prescription.... see another dr or dentist asap....

Closed Thread

Tags
extraction, pain after extraction, wisdom teeth