It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2012, 03:33 AM   #1
(female)

worriedwendy HB User
Bottom dentures :-( Help/support please

I have been told I have to have all my bottom teeth out, (long history of repeated apicectomies and antibiotic therapies). If I don't the deep seated infection is going to end up breaking my jaw!!!!

I am so frightened of having all my bottom teeth out. Also I am scared how I will cope with bottom dentures (my Mum struggles terribly with hers). Having nightmares of them flying out etc etc.

Could really do with some support from people who have already gone through this :-(. Feeling so down right now :-(

I am 48 but feeling 78 today :-(

The following user gives a hug of support to worriedwendy:
gullahgullah (05-29-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 06:06 AM   #2
(female)

gullahgullah HB Usergullahgullah HB Usergullahgullah HB User
Re: Bottom dentures :-( Help/support please

Quote:
Originally Posted by worriedwendy View Post
I have been told I have to have all my bottom teeth out, (long history of repeated apicectomies and antibiotic therapies). If I don't the deep seated infection is going to end up breaking my jaw!!!!

I am so frightened of having all my bottom teeth out. Also I am scared how I will cope with bottom dentures (my Mum struggles terribly with hers). Having nightmares of them flying out etc etc.

Could really do with some support from people who have already gone through this :-(. Feeling so down right now :-(

I am 48 but feeling 78 today :-(
I had 14 teeth (7 front upper teeth & 7 front lower teeth) extracted on the same day. Before the rest of my teeth were extracted, I wore upper and lower partials for a number of years. Also, had the immediate full dentures, uppers & lowers placed in my mouth on the same day of the extractions. All of my dental work was done on March 22, 2012, and its the best decision that I could have made. I have to have the full dentures lined in several weeks.

In reference to your question:

I was scared to death too and had to cancel a vacation trip, because of pain, gum desease, loose teeth and I couldn't eat anything. A dentist had told me last year that I needed to have my teeth extracted, but because I was so scared I ignored it, so therefore, I had no choice but to have them all extracted. T

he dentist extracted my 14 teeth within 10 minutes. But, this was after the injections of novacaine. He knew that I was scared and told me that the hardest part was the novacaine injections. He was absolutely correct! I did not feel any pain other than a little pressure (no pain involved) which he talked me through the extractions and made me feel very comfortable. This all took place at 9:30 am in the morning, the extractions took about 10 minutes which my husband told me. The bleeding subsided at 3:00 pm in the afternoon and at 4:30 pm I had my new pearly white natural smile.

Believe it or not I did not suffer any post bleeding, pain or infections when I got home. The immediate full dentures feel better that my old teeth. I will be getting the permanent full dentures next year. I haven't had any problems with the lower denture plate because I use Fixodent which hold the bottom plate in perfect which it does not move. I use the Sea Bond wafer cushion for the upper plate. I have the custom signature immediate full dentures which look very natural. They cost a little bit more than the standard dentures and they don't look like doggy teeth. Most people think they are my natural teeth.

My gums are still shrinking and getting more firmer, which I am able to eat most foods. When I first got them they felt a little awkward and it took a little while for me to get adjusted to them and too find the right adhesive product that made the dentures feel comfortable in my mouth. They now feel like my own and they do not slip, slide or move when I am talking or eating. I had to experiment with different products in order for me to have a perfect fit. So far it's working.

I sympathize with you on your fear, because I had the same fear too. But, whatever you do, please do not wait until you are in so much pain, cannot eat or your teeth become loose like mine were. When my mouth was at that state, I knew that it was affecting my health. Today, I have a clean bill of health and wish that I had them removed a year ago.

Hope this information helps and feel free to ask more questions. I know that we all have a fear of the unknow, but believe me, a good caring dentist will help you to overcome the fear. My dentist joked with me and checked on me throught the whole ordeal all in one day.

Go for the gusto and get the new pearly whites!!!

Feel free to ask more questions and Have a Blessed Day!

The Following User Says Thank You to gullahgullah For This Useful Post:
worriedwendy (05-29-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2012, 06:24 AM   #3
(female)

Fogot to mention that I had all of the dental work done five days before my birthday which I turned 60 years old and feel and look like I am 40 at least that is what I have been told.

Hope all goes well for you!

Old 05-29-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
(female)

tstalhood HB User

Im wondering the same thing.. I go thursday there pulling 8 on the bottom all smaller teeth but one molar root extraction...the anxiety and fear is really freaking me out..I cant even sleep...Im not as worried of the pain my fear is more if the anxiety is gonna cause me to have a stroke ir simething..soynds crazy but its that bad and then if I can where them cus I have peridontal real bad.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: tstalhood
gullahgullah (05-29-2012), worriedwendy (05-29-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
(female)

worriedwendy HB User

Wow, thank you so much for the positive reply and support. I am feeling a tiny bit more positive now :-) x

Old 05-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
(female)

worriedwendy HB User

tstalhood.... hope all goes well for you, it's such a scary and personal thing having dentures and I felt so alone in this. Would your dentist be willing to perhaps prescribe a mild sedative for you to take prior to your visit? I know I am going to take paracetamol just before I go so that when the numbness wears off hopefully the pain killers will be kicking in. Fingers crossed for you, and a 'vertual' hand to hold.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #7
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstalhood View Post
Im wondering the same thing.. I go thursday there pulling 8 on the bottom all smaller teeth but one molar root extraction...the anxiety and fear is really freaking me out..I cant even sleep...Im not as worried of the pain my fear is more if the anxiety is gonna cause me to have a stroke ir simething..soynds crazy but its that bad and then if I can where them cus I have peridontal real bad.
I had gum desease really bad to the point that my teeth became real loose. Once all of my teeth (14 of them) were extracted, the gum desease is gone. No more bad breath, no more covering my mouth out of embarrasment, no more bleeding and receding gums, etc., etc.

My gums are real healthy now. Unfortunately, it took loosing all of my teeth, which I now take better care of the full dentures and my mouth than taking care of my real teeth.

I take meds for hypertension and heart desease and also had two total knee replacements (TKR) done at the same time back in 2006. Due the TKR's I knew that because of the invasive dental work that I would have to take antibiotics. I was more fearful about getting a bacterial infection because of the TKR's.

Everything turned out just fine with absolutely no complications. Talk to your dentist and let them know about your fears. A good dentist with state of the art facilities will help you overcome your fears.

To make you laugh:

When my husband and I arrived at the dental facility, there were over 100 people waiting to be called for exams, extractions, etc. We had to go from one area to the next. So, therefore, I went from the exam room to the waiting area for to be called in for the extractions. Well, while we were sitting there, everybody was talking, laughing and jovial. I was the first one called and then I came out back to the waiting area with all 14 teeth gone and guaze in between my gums right in the front of my mouth.

My husband informed me later on the way home that when the other people saw me with the guaze in my mouth that he could see the same fear in everybody else because the became real quiet. I guess what I am trying to say, is that you are not alone with your fears when it comes to having any type of invasive medical procedure.

One thought of mine is this ~ I have never heard of anybody that I know say:

Yippee! I'm going to the dentist. I don't say this to discourage or take anything from the dentist. I just say it too make you laugh.

Wishing you a lot of success and a speedy recovery!

Have a Blessed Day!

Old 05-30-2012, 05:28 AM   #8
(female)

tstalhood HB User

Thans my appointment is in the morning so as soon as I can Ill let ya know how it went

Old 06-04-2012, 03:18 AM   #9
(female)

worriedwendy HB User

Hi there, just wondering how you are getting on? I have been thinking about you. Hope all went ok.

Closed Thread