It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

nancy357 HB Usernancy357 HB User
US Dentist left Cotton under husbands crown... irony!

Ok so today my husband goes in for a filling while taking x-ray the dentist discovers he needs an emergency root canal to prevent abscess from bursting.

He goes to the root canal dentist who discovers cotton under his crown..So he calls the referring dentist who said I never worked on that tooth...Hubby had it worked on by a prior dentist

This maxes out his 1800 a year cap, there is 1k worth more of work needing to be done...I find it funny that hear I am getting ready to go to Mexico for my dental work. As work done here in the US was shotty work done 5 miles from the house causes my husband problems.

The root canal dentist actually asked my husband did you go out of the country for that work?

The dentist who left the cotton there we sure aren't go back to saying hay you did this fix it...heck no we don't want him working on hubby.

I find it funny I could save 500 buck flying my hubby to Mexico...However I understand he doesn't want to go to TJ, I am trying to work with the dentist to do part of the work that cost 300 buck and save the rest of the work for next year...I will find out tomorrow

I just really find this ironic considering the time and my plans.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: US Dentist left Cotton under husbands crown... irony!

Hi,
It was explained to me that a small piece of cotton left under a crown will help if the crown ever needs replacement. I have small pieces of sterile cotton under my implant crowns. My cosmetic dentist has always done it this way as it protects the implant or post.

Hope this helps. It may be just a dentist's preference.

Best to you,
Gellia

The Following User Says Thank You to Gellia For This Useful Post:
nancy357 (06-12-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2012, 04:43 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Gellia - So I read your post to my hubby he said I got it wrong it was a filling not a crown. He now needs a crown because of this, that the dentist said the cotton caused the abcess.

Really strange to hear that is a dental practice, I wonder if there is a difference between it being done on a filling vs a crown/implant.

Thanks for the post

Old 06-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi again,

IMO, placing a piece of cotton between a metal abutment and the inside of a crown, and placing one between a filling and living tooth is a big difference. The cotton between an implant abutment and crown doesn't touch living tissue. It is sealed in between two neutral and inanimate objects. Nothing can decay.

But, cotton on top of a filling? The filling itself would touch enamel or dentin. Shoving cotton in between there would surely cause eventual decay.

I am so sorry this happened to your DH. A written statement as to your current dentist's findings would be prudent.

GOOD LUCK.

My best to you,
Gellia

Old 06-12-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

That's a great idea, I just found it ironic people saying to how I am nuts to go to Mexico. People that don't do their jobs right is everywhere!

Thanks for all your advice!

Closed Thread