It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012, 05:33 AM   #1
(female)

emily763 HB User
Bleeding 6 days wisdom teeth post-op

Hi everyone, if anyone knows anything about tooth removal or has had their wisdom teeth removed please read!

I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed on Monday (today's Sunday), and haven't had any huge problems up until now. I've done everything I'm supposed to! There was some bleeding, but that stopped a few days ago. However, last night I was looking at my mouth and I noticed where one of my bottom teeth was removed, the blood clot was gone. I have stitches, so it wasn't the full socket, but there was still a portion where I think I might have been able to see down to the bone. I know from searching around the internet that that's not a good sign... the beginnings of dry socket possibly. I thought it might resolve itself, so I went to bed, and woke up early this morning with a LOT of blood coming from that tooth. It looks like the blood clot re-formed, which I think is a good thing (well, better than dry socket). Buuut it's still pretty unpleasant and this what I want to be happening...
Has this happened to anyone? If it has, did it resolve on its own?
Should I treat this particular wound like it's the first day, now that there's a new clot (no straws, spitting, etc...)?
I'd appreciate the help! It's 7:00 on a Sunday morning so I'm not sure I can get ahold of my dentist anytime soon.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: Bleeding 6 days wisdom teeth post-op

Great questions, Emily. It sounds like the clot came out and then reformed. Yes, treat it as you would on the first day. No straws, no rinsing, stay away from food on that side, and try not to keep checking on it. If it starts bleeding a lot again (which it shouldn't) then soak a teabag with water (not hot!) and bite down on it for about 20 minutes. The tannic acid in the tea should stop the bleeding.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slenderella For This Useful Post:
emily763 (06-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread