It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2012, 02:44 AM   #1
(female)

MissSunshine322 HB User
Dentist anxiety, and help, advice, and comfort needed!! :(

Im 20 years old and ive been told that i need 7 teeth pulled by a dentist. I have flip flopped having insurance and not for many years. Mostly without then with. Because of my insurance flip flop its dont nothing but feed into my anxiety about how much its going to hurt and how i feel ill never be the same after, trying to adjust to dentures. My teeth are so bad and every day they hurt, and everytime i want to smile i think of how bad they really are. I have 5 teeth which are severly decayed, and they all take their turns aching me. And then i have one tooth that the crown of the tooth broke off but the base Of the tooth is still in my gums. Knowing this i feel like that tooth is the one that will hurt the most, just because of the need to most likely cut my gums, and (eeek! Just at the thought...) STICHES! i know im being a big baby, and this is my first time ever trying to disscus this with others who might relate. i feel emmbarassed mostly, one, for being only 20, two, for being a baby, and 3 because i have such a beautiful smile, and i wish i could have beautiful teeth. But ive really taken a stand recently to try and over come my fears and get them fixed, because they are getting worse, and its affecting my health in more ways then one. Im 5'8 and weigh 120lbs. Im natuary a skinny person, but he last 2 years, im lucky if i eat one meal a day. Im slowly lossing my appetite for food all together because i rarley eat because it hurts too much, Even soft foods. And the toothaches keep me awake 5 out of 7 days a week till 5-9am not being able to sleep, along with headaches. But my actual requests in this post is for people to please help me with tips to over come my fears, and advice on how i can possibly get this done asap with no health insurance, and my jobs not to good, so with very very little cash. And lastly advice on what its like to have dentures. Ive never had them and most of the teeth i will be losing are back teeth. So how can i eat? Or will it be difficult? Or do they ever just fall out? Idk anything about them. please help. thank you to anyone who does.... I feel quite alone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2012, 05:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Dentist anxiety, and help, advice, and comfort needed!! :(

Hi,
You're going to do fine! Honest!

From what you have said, it sounds as though you will get a partial for the teeth that will be removed. They clip onto remaining teeth and the teeth look natural and do very well.
I'm sure there will be people that will come on and tell you some tips for eating with a partial. I had one for my top front teeth and it wasn't hard at all. Just be sure to put food on both sides of your mouth when chewing and stick to soft foods until you get used to it. It will happen. It takes some time, that's all.

Once the bad teeth are out, you will even feel healthier! Removal is not that difficult.
Extractions should be pain free. If your dentist uses nitrous oxide, I highly recommend it. My oral surgeon used that and novocain and he could have chopped off my head and I wouldn't have noticed! Seriously!! I never once felt any pain and was awake the whole time. I had four teeth out and four implants screwed in at the same time. Painfree!
The fear is worse than the pain. Get the fear under control and you have it made!

What you have been suffering with now is much worse than the extraction procedures and what you will feel after. Once the bad teeth are gone and you see how pretty your partial teeth will be you will be so happy you got it done. Give yourself time for the adjustment and then enjoy your smile.

My bet is it will be super!

GOOD LUCK and let us know how you do.
My best to you,
Gellia

Old 06-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

tanyasue HB Usertanyasue HB Usertanyasue HB User
Re: Dentist anxiety, and help, advice, and comfort needed!! :(

I've never had dentures but I have had severe tooth pain. I promise you nothing is worse than dental pain! Extractions are nothing compared to what you've been through, and once they are out you will be shocked at how good you feel.

Do you have medical insurance too? If so, go to your general doctor and get something for anxiety. Show him/her your teeth and explain your deathly afraid of dentists. If you need to take it daily for a week or two until your appt, them do it. Teeth problems cause other problems.

I have had 5 normal teeth and 4 wisdom teeth removed. I was awake for most of them. If you feel a thing, you tell them to stop. Honestly, I told them I was scared to death of an extraction so they numbed me above and beyond what was needed.

I promise, you can do this!

As far as money goes you have options. Look for a local dental school, they discount their fees. Look for a clinic in your area. Where are you located? There are usually community clinics that offer low cost work based on income. In my case I went to Mexico. I'm not saying its for everyone, but I live in southern California and it was right for me-I didn't have obscene amounts of money to spend on my teeth.

Closed Thread