It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
(male)

tk123 HB User
Wisdom Teeth Surgery

Hey there. First of all, let me start off by saying Happy Independence Day and I hope you all have a great day. I'm in need of some personal support with an upcoming surgery I have next week. I'm getting all 4 of my impacted wisdom teeth removed next week and I'm a nervous wreck. I have no idea what to expect as I have never been "under the knife" or undergone any operations. I had a meeting with the oral surgeon a few months ago and he said they were going to give me laughing gas followed by IV anesthesia. He said they were also going to shoot Novocaine in each of the wisdom teeth that he will be pulling.

My main concern is the procedure itself. I know after the operation I'm going to have some swelling and bruising and I'm fine with that at this point. I simply can't get over what the procedure will be like. I have NEVER been under any type of Anesthetic and really don't know how dangerous it is. I've always had fears of waking up while being operated on or saying something embarrassing/stupid while they are working on me. Will I feel them pulling at my tooth?

Tl;dr: Basically, for those of you who have gotten all 4 wisdom teeth removed. What was the PROCEDURE like?

I would appreciate all your help and could use any assistance I can get.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
(male)

Rich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB User
Re: Wisdom Teeth Surgery

It is nothing. You'll go to sleep and what will seem like a second later you will wake up and it will be over. You won't feel or know anything during the procedure, and you won't be in pain afterward. However, you would have a lot of soreness over the next few day, but the meds they give you will help with that and then it will be done.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
(male)

tk123 HB User

Thanks for the response. I'm really just worried how the anesthetic works. I've never been under anything worse than Novocaine for cavity fillings so this whole anesthetic thing is new to me.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
(male)

SpotMe HB User

The procedure really is nothing. I had all 4 taken out when I was in 8th grade and they were still in the gums. They sprayed some "numbing" agent on my arm and then put the IV in. Within less than a minute they told me to count backward and before I got got 7 I was out. Before I knew it I was being woken up.

There is really no way to prepare for it but to be honest, the worst part is after it's done because you are so groggy. You just want to sleep that first day. They had to put me in a wheelchair and my parents took me home. I barely remember much except waking up later that night and not able to feel my mouth much. You may get irritated that you can't eat solid food or the pain may come and go, but the meds they give keep it easily under control.

Overall, the experience wasn't that bad. The anesthetic is amazing and makes the whole thing go by in what seems like one minute. You'll be fine.

Best of luck!

Old 07-05-2012, 02:40 AM   #5
(male)

tk123 HB User

Thanks for the response. Everyone I talk to makes it sound like you're knocked out the whole time, but I feel with my luck that the IV Anesthesia won't fully knock me out and I'll be awake for the whole procedure.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi,
I don't think you need to worry. If you're getting nitrous oxide (laughing gas) AND an IV anesthetic, you won't know a thing. IV anesthetic is designed to render you completely out. It's what they use before major surgery in order to intubate a patient before a general anesthetic is used.
Seriously, you won't know a thing that's happening!

I had four teeth out and four implants placed at the same time with just novocaine and nitrous. I was so nervous, esp. about the implants going in. I can honestly say I had NO pain at all and don't remember a thing. For this very nervous patient, it was a breeze. He could have cut off my head and I wouldn't have known a thing!

You shouldn't have any problem at all. Just remember to ice it (rice in a sock works GREAT!) when you get home and sleep with your head elevated a bit. That will help to minimize swelling.

GOOD LUCK and let us know how you do.
My best to you,
Gellia

Old 07-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #7
(male)

SpotMe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk123 View Post
Thanks for the response. Everyone I talk to makes it sound like you're knocked out the whole time, but I feel with my luck that the IV Anesthesia won't fully knock me out and I'll be awake for the whole procedure.

You'll be fine. I've had bad reactions to gas before, but the IV for the wisdom teeth procedure took me out 100%. If I ever have to go do anything similar ever again I hope it works that exact same way.

It really does feel like you're done in about one minute.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
(male)

tk123 HB User

Thanks again for the responses. I'm freaking out even more now after reading an article about a girl dying during her wisdom teeth surgery. They said she died of oxygen deprivation from the anesthetic during the surgery and now I'm freaking out because I never had anesthesia before.

Last edited by tk123; 07-06-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi,
Don't worry. The machines used today are calibrated to automatically shut down if the appropriate amount of oxygen is not delivered at the same time as the nitrous.

Deaths occurring with recreational misuse does happen.

Your dentist will have an assistant and you will be carefully monitored.

GOOD LUCK. Come back and let us know how you do. We all LOVE success stories!

Best to you,
Gellia

Old 07-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
(male)

tk123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellia View Post
Hi,
Don't worry. The machines used today are calibrated to automatically shut down if the appropriate amount of oxygen is not delivered at the same time as the nitrous.

Deaths occurring with recreational misuse does happen.

Your dentist will have an assistant and you will be carefully monitored.

GOOD LUCK. Come back and let us know how you do. We all LOVE success stories!

Best to you,
Gellia
Thanks a lot. I go in this Monday at 8am to get them out. I can't eat or drink after midnight and will probably be shaking inside from anxiety. I've talked to so many people who say I'm over-thinking it and that I shouldn't worry but it's just one of those things where I have never experienced what an anesthetic feels like and never had to have 4 teeth pulled.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Definitely, not a big deal. The dentist will be able to tell if you are still awake, and they use instruments (Pulse oximeter) to make sure that you aren't having any sort of problem while you're out.

I was a little sore for a few days after my extraction, but then I was fine. SO glad I got it over with!

Old 07-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

tanyasue HB Usertanyasue HB Usertanyasue HB User

You are going to do great!

I've had teeth pulled and implants placed while wide awake, only novacaine, and no nitrous. Let me start be saying I'm a wimp-especially to dental pain. Let me be clear, I don't do dental pain and at 37 I do cry if my teeth hurt.

Without a doubt the worst part is the shot. And I'm way hard to numb, and they still did it.

I promise you can do this and it will all be ok! Surgery is scary for anyone, because you feel out of control and have a fear of the unknown. You aren't over thinking this, you have just done tons of research. So you came across the bad stories, you have to remember there are thousands and thousands of good stories too, but you just don't see those. Research is good, it means that you really care about what is going on in your body.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #13
(male)

tk123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyasue View Post
You are going to do great!

I've had teeth pulled and implants placed while wide awake, only novacaine, and no nitrous. Let me start be saying I'm a wimp-especially to dental pain. Let me be clear, I don't do dental pain and at 37 I do cry if my teeth hurt.

Without a doubt the worst part is the shot. And I'm way hard to numb, and they still did it.

I promise you can do this and it will all be ok! Surgery is scary for anyone, because you feel out of control and have a fear of the unknown. You aren't over thinking this, you have just done tons of research. So you came across the bad stories, you have to remember there are thousands and thousands of good stories too, but you just don't see those. Research is good, it means that you really care about what is going on in your body.
Thank you and god bless! I would never be able to have teeth pulled and implants placed while wide awake! I've always had dental phobia myself and I'm only 18 haha. Ever since I was a little boy I was scared to even get a simple cleaning! I'll be sure to update you all after I'm done with the procedure on Monday (if I'm not wiped out :P).

On a side note, my visit with the surgeon was awhile back so I don't remember what he told me, but does anyone know on average how long the extraction of 4 wisdom teeth takes?

Last edited by tk123; 07-06-2012 at 04:05 PM.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

tanyasue HB Usertanyasue HB Usertanyasue HB User

I think its pretty quick, like 20-30 minutes tops.

I just re read your original post. People do tend to say weird things, its part of the fun! I had surgery (not oral), and I they gave me this drug to relax me. I actually said this to the anastheologist "omg, I've never felt so good in my life. I understand why women ***** themselves for drugs!". I doubt you can beat that one.....

Honestly, if your dentist knows what they're doing then being awake isn't that bad. Not only that, I got it done in Mexico and waited in line at the border, and then drove an hour and a half home after. And still did fine.

The fear of the unknown is the worst!

Old 07-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

If none of them are majorly impacted, it'll be done in about 10 minutes. The more impacted they are, the longer it takes.

Closed Thread