It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
(male)

austinbigwig HB User
Angry Diagnodent Laser

Hello,

I am a 48 year old male. I have never had a single cavity. It has been a few years since I had a cleaning, so I went to the Dentist to get one done. I always take care of my teeth, so it was a surprise to me when he used a new laser to find hidden tooth decay, and told me I needed 9 fillings. Nine! Well, I agreed to three the first day, because I am an idiot at times. He said it was to prevent certain cavities in the future. When I got home I did some research on this laser, and I see that many dentists claim it is better to wait than to fill, because 95% of the cases never progress to cavities and many go away. The claim it is better to take a wait-and-see approach. Also, he did the fillings without ever doing my cleaning. He said he woudl do the cleaning once all the fillings were done. Well, according to the user manual for the laser, it will give false positives if done on teeth that have not been completely cleaned. I now have three fillings that I probably did not need, and I have jaw and ear pain. Any advice? Thanks.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
(female)

slepey HB User
Re: Diagnodent Laser

I'm sorry to hear that.

It's great that you keep your teeth in such healthy condition. What does your diet contain, because that is usually the key to a healthy living?

Are the fillings quite deep? Did your teeth feel sensitive during the drilling? If yes, then that might be the cause of the jaw and ear pain, the more they destroy from your dentin with their drill the closer they come to your nerve chamber and your teeth might become sensitive and disturbed by this unnecessary "treatment". There are many topics you can find searching for ear pain after teeth fillings, i don't know what the exact cause is but things are connected so i guess it's not a surprise that many people feel unwell. I hope the discomfort subsides fast.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-13-2012 at 03:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User

I can definitely affirm your information that if the teeth are not cleaned first that they can give a false positive on the diagnodent. That said, it's really a wonderful, diagnostic tool. Sometimes people have decay that doesn't show itself visually or by x-ray, and potentially the decay can spread and become worse if unattended, but I do think that your dentist probably jumped the gun in filling the teeth. I don't think there is malpractice, there, it's just one mindset, compared to another more conservative mindset, to wait and see (and hope that the decay doesn't broaden and affect more of the tooth). Just my personal opinion.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
(male)

austinbigwig HB User

Slenderella,

Thanks for your reply. I know there is no malpractice; it would not be worth it for any lawyer. However, I disagree that it is just a mindset. The directions clearly state that teeth must be thoroughly cleaned and free of even saliva or you will received false positives. He was either completely irresponsible, or he purposefully uses it on unclean teeth in order to get the results he wants. I have since had a cleaning and had the test run again by another dentist. Guess what? Absolutely no cavities in any of the remaining teeth he said needed to be filled ASAP! If I ran my business like this, I would be done.

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-13-2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved website links, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User

I'm sorry, you've misunderstood. What I meant is that there are different mindsets about treating or not treating the decay, if there actually is any. I totally agree that there is a standard that teeth should be cleaned before the device is used.

Closed Thread