HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Dental Health (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/dental-health/)
-   -   First visit to dentist in years, sore mouth (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/dental-health/909344-first-visit-dentist-years-sore-mouth.html)

trw1972 07-13-2012 06:14 AM

First visit to dentist in years, sore mouth

Hey all

Went for my first dental visit in...oh about 10 years yesterday (i know i know)

teeth actually seem ok.. but were obviously incredibly stained.

Dentist did the check and said hygenist would do the scale and polish in two seperate sessions.

She spent 20 mins doing the top teeth, they look very good now (though a contrast to the bottom ones)

Only problem is my mouth feels quite sore/swollen now, not the gums/teeth.. but my tongue and the glands underneath my tongue

I know the hygenist had to work hard to clean the top teeth (my fault)

is this a reaction to dental instruments knocking/grazing my tongue etc?

And what should i be using to ease it?

Ive been told to not use clorahexadine as it will stain my teeth more..

so im just using plax (alcohol free) and saline washes twice a day right now.

Thanks.

Rich775 07-13-2012 06:43 AM

Re: First visit to dentist in years, sore mouth

I would guess that it is not directly from her work but rather a detox response from your body to bacteria that was released from your teeth as a result of her cleaning. If that is the case what you are doing now is fine and it will just take some time for your body to flush the toxins out.

M.

trw1972 07-13-2012 07:17 AM

[QUOTE=Rich775;5018652]I would guess that it is not directly from her work but rather a detox response from your body to bacteria that was released from your teeth as a result of her cleaning. If that is the case what you are doing now is fine and it will just take some time for your body to flush the toxins out.

M.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Rich, that makes a lot of sense.

I know it was an intensive clean, for some reason i had to wear goggles! so god knows what she was doing (sandblasting perhaps!)

Ill carry on as i am and return if it gets worse, right now its uncomfortable and irritating rather than painful and i can eat fine

Thanks again

slepey 07-13-2012 02:57 PM

Saline is supposed to be good.
Anyway don't feel guilty for not going to the dentist for 10 years. You do more good to yourself by not going there, as long as you eat healthy natural food and clean your teeth well.
Since you just got the professional cleaning, in order to not have to get it any more i strongly recommend you buy the disclosing tablets and use them every 3-4-5 days to dye any remaining plaque which needs to be removed.
You might also want to use dental tape or an oral irrigator if your gum is inflamed (good example - if your gum bled during and after the cleaning).