It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012, 02:50 AM   #1
(female)

Skepticalone HB User
Save your loose teeth!

If you're one of the people like me who in desperation googled " save very loose teeth" you might be interested in my journey. There IS hope guys! This is going to be a long story so please bear with me. My 2 front lower teeth have been slightly loose for several years. I'm aware of dental hygiene, I brush, I floss, I get my teeth cleaned by a hygienist once a year. My dentist assured me that with proper care I could keep these teeth until old age. So imagine my horror when about a month ago I realised those 2 teeth got so loose I could easily push them around with my tongue!! I made an appointment to see my dentist right away and was absolutely devastated when after taking X-rays she said there was no chance of me keeping these teeth and I best concentrate on looking after the rest. Nearly no bone left to support. She gave me the run down on extracting the loose teeth, having a bone graft, followed by implants. Total cost well over 10.000 NZ dollars. She arranged for another appointment to have all my teeth but those two ( too loose, would probably fall out) cleaned by a hygienist. Which I had done a couple of days later.

In the meantime,and because I have a healthy distrust for professionals asking for megabucks, I did my own research by asking my best mate google again. And following the advice I found there I've noticed a dramatic improvement. My dentist is singing a different tune now and giving me options worth trying in order to perhaps save my teeth. I'll give you a step by step, detailed account of what I've been doing but I do want to stress that nothing is for sure, I can't predict the final outcome. However, it's a great relief that now she's referred me to a periodontist to discuss the possibility of keeping me teeth, and even suggesting she herself would like to put splints on to immobilise and deeply clean the teeth. My gums have tighten up A LOT and I can no longer push those teeth around with my tongue.

So here's a point by point account of what I've been doing. I should clarify that because I work night shifts only I have plenty of time during the day to spend a long time on such involved dental care. I do the procedures below after every time I eat, that is on average 3 times a day. But if you can't follow these steps so often I'm sure even once a day would make a huge difference. And your bone loss may not be as bad as mine.

1. Make your own toothpaste. Mix 3 teaspoon of baking soda with 1 teaspoon of salt. Add 1-2 teaspoon of bleach, I use our local cheap Janola brand, to make a paste thick enough to stay on the brush.
2. Use an electric toothbrush only.
3. Brush your teeth after every meal, concentrating on getting the paste and the action of the toothbrush on the gums of the loose teeth. Try to really push it down hard into the gum and hold it for about half a minute on that spot. You're also massaging the gum at the same time increasing circulation. Your gums might bleed, the paste tastes awful, ignore it and carry on.
4. Get a dental mini-brush from your dentist or hygienist. It's a tiny pointy brush with stiff bristles. It's meant for cleaning in-between your teeth.I think supermarkets might be selling them too. Dip it in the paste as above and push it down under the gum as far as you can.
5. Buy Betadine Sore Throat Gurgle. It's an antiseptic meant for treating sore throats. Make sure it's in an undiluted form, some are already mixed with water. You want the full strength. Dip your little pointy brush into it and repeat the procedure of sticking it under the gum as far as it'll go.
6. Floss your teeth.
7.Make your own mouthwash. Mix 1 teaspoon of bleach (Janola or whatever) in a cup of water. Slosh it around your mouth for at least 30 secs.
8. At any time of the day, whenever you have 20 minutes, do "oil pulling". Now let me explain I'm a skeptic and at first thought it was a lot of nonsense. I spent hours trying to find out why it works for so many people. There's no reliable scientific study but one dentist's take on it makes sense to me. First, sloshing oil in your mouth for so long creates an emulsion when mixed with your saliva. This may soften the plaque and make it easier to remove while brushing. Second, the process massages your gums thus increasing blood supply. Don't believe any claims of curing all possible diseases, that's just wishful thinking. It is harmless though and I can see how it possibly may be beneficial.

Ive asked my dentist about Guided Tissue Regeneration. She's not so keen but there are places in bigger town than mine which offer that procedure and I definitely want to explore that possibility.

Thanks for reading all this!!

Jan.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread