It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
(female)

valentina11 HB User
Exclamation Broken tooth. Broken jawbone, too?

While driving and eating a burrito from a popular fast food joint, I bit down on a very hard foreign object, possibly a rock in the beans. I heard such a loud cracking sound in my right ear that it startled me. Feeling around with my tongue, I discovered a large portion of my last lower molar on the right side was gone. The tooth had an amalgam filling from childhood, but was not decayed. Amazingly, the tooth itself didn't hurt at all but since the break left extremely sharp edges, it lacerated my tongue badly. I also noticed a painful spot on the gum below the broken tooth, much lower down on the inside of my jaw. I just assumed that the object or my broken tooth had scratched the gum. As time passed the gum got worse, not better until I began to feel something hard and pointed protruding from my gum. It seemed to be moveable so I thought it must be a broken piece of tooth or a broken sliver of bone. I saw my dentist hoping he could pull out the object and alleviate the terrible pain. He said it was just bone exposed by the scraped gum and prescribed a steroid oral creme. I felt sure it was a loose piece of something but he scoffed at the idea that any bone had splintered. My jaw continues to be painful and the pointed thing is sticking out more so that it is scratching my tongue. Does anyone know if such an incident could possibly cause a sliver of bone to break off? I'm getting so desperate I have been contemplating trying to grab it with tweezers and pull it out myself but I'm afraid to. As if all that wasn't enough, I have a prosthetic heart valve due to endocarditis which puts me in about the most likely group to reinfect, especially from dental infections. Worried and in pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread