It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
(male)

Chem4ever HB User
Unhappy Advice/comment needed. 2nd Upper Molar Extraction

Hello Everyone!!
My name is Paulo, and I'm new here I'm looking forward to becoming active.
Well here's my story:
About 2 years ago I developed a bad cavity on my 2nd Upper Molar (left). I do not have insurance, and my father was not able to afford a dentist here in the US. I ended up going to the dentist in Peru (my home country) while visiting my mother. The dentist suggested an extraction. (I had a pretty descent hole in the side of my molar). My father refused the idea. According to him, after a molar extraction you teeth began to shift. Which is true, but in my opinion is was needed. The dentist tried to save my molar. He constructed a piece of molar and placed it on my molar, and everything seemed fine. No pain. It look great. About a year after, that piece felt off. And the hole itself was exposed. EXTREME PAIN!!!lol
So, there was no other choice then to go to a dentist here on the US. The dentist once again recommended an extraction. And father once again refused the idea. Once again, dentist tried to save it.
The plan was: root canal (so that I feel no pain) during 1st appt, then some sort of crown during the second appt. Anyways, the 2nd appt was never done. My dad could not afford it. It has been a year now that I have a damaged molar (more like a half molar).
I recently decided to go to the dentist, since I got money from scholarships, grants, etc after transfering to a new university. I'll be paying for all my dental needs now (no insurance still though)
I have an appointment this monday. And it seems like this place just take tooth out at the moment. But I have read, antibiotics are sometimes needed if theres some sort of infection, and so on. I'm not sure if I have an infection, there's no swelling, no pain (I guess since the root canal killed all the nerves, I don't know). I do take antibiotics (for years now ), minocycline, to control my acne.
This is my reasoning: that the antibiotics I take, have kept it from getting nasty looking. Who know's.
What do you guys think? Should I refuse to get it extracted without the antibiotics or would I be fine? Are pain medicine need after? and also, should I stop taking my medicine before the extraction?
I take minocycline 100mg 2x day (for years!) and Adderall 20mg x2 day (for 5 months now)

One last thing: during that same period (about 1.5 to 2 years ago) I have developed adbominal pain, on my upper left ab. The pain, its very mild, dull. Its just a discomfort. I've been reading that it could be related to an infection (maybe tooth infection) since the spleen, and pancreas are that same area.
Again, please don't say "why didn't you go to the doctor?!" ..I have no insurance, and my father cannot afford it (they wanted to endoscopy, mri, etc...too expensive)
I will be visiting the doctor soon too, once I get my school money.
THANKS FOR READING!! I KNOW ITS LONG, BUT IM JUST WORRY! I've probably damaged my pancreas or something. I'm a bit scared. : (

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
(female)

Antoleza HB User
Re: Advice/comment needed. 2nd Upper Molar Extraction

Well I'm replying because I realize after reading your issue that the reality is actually to see the doctor and make up your mind to either have your molar removed or keep it. Seems to me if it continues to cause you problems and your insurance is finished, you don't have much choice in the matter.If you remove it, no more worries. You talking about one tooth here, I've just been told I need to have 11 teeth removed and I'm not happy about that and thusly seeking another opinion and studying on the net any other solutions. Well let me tell ya, I think I'll be having all 11 removed. The only procedure I found, a rather innovative one that you might want to look into is called LANAP...it's a laser treatment. Look it up and see if this is feasible in your situation. The cost is expensive when speakinf of a whole mouth but may be significantly lower with only one tooth if there is bone loss. Check it out.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chem4ever View Post
Hello Everyone!!
My name is Paulo, and I'm new here I'm looking forward to becoming active.
Well here's my story:
About 2 years ago I developed a bad cavity on my 2nd Upper Molar (left). I do not have insurance, and my father was not able to afford a dentist here in the US. I ended up going to the dentist in Peru (my home country) while visiting my mother. The dentist suggested an extraction. (I had a pretty descent hole in the side of my molar). My father refused the idea. According to him, after a molar extraction you teeth began to shift. Which is true, but in my opinion is was needed. The dentist tried to save my molar. He constructed a piece of molar and placed it on my molar, and everything seemed fine. No pain. It look great. About a year after, that piece felt off. And the hole itself was exposed. EXTREME PAIN!!!lol
So, there was no other choice then to go to a dentist here on the US. The dentist once again recommended an extraction. And father once again refused the idea. Once again, dentist tried to save it.
The plan was: root canal (so that I feel no pain) during 1st appt, then some sort of crown during the second appt. Anyways, the 2nd appt was never done. My dad could not afford it. It has been a year now that I have a damaged molar (more like a half molar).
I recently decided to go to the dentist, since I got money from scholarships, grants, etc after transfering to a new university. I'll be paying for all my dental needs now (no insurance still though)
I have an appointment this monday. And it seems like this place just take tooth out at the moment. But I have read, antibiotics are sometimes needed if theres some sort of infection, and so on. I'm not sure if I have an infection, there's no swelling, no pain (I guess since the root canal killed all the nerves, I don't know). I do take antibiotics (for years now ), minocycline, to control my acne.
This is my reasoning: that the antibiotics I take, have kept it from getting nasty looking. Who know's.
What do you guys think? Should I refuse to get it extracted without the antibiotics or would I be fine? Are pain medicine need after? and also, should I stop taking my medicine before the extraction?
I take minocycline 100mg 2x day (for years!) and Adderall 20mg x2 day (for 5 months now)

One last thing: during that same period (about 1.5 to 2 years ago) I have developed adbominal pain, on my upper left ab. The pain, its very mild, dull. Its just a discomfort. I've been reading that it could be related to an infection (maybe tooth infection) since the spleen, and pancreas are that same area.
Again, please don't say "why didn't you go to the doctor?!" ..I have no insurance, and my father cannot afford it (they wanted to endoscopy, mri, etc...too expensive)
I will be visiting the doctor soon too, once I get my school money.
THANKS FOR READING!! I KNOW ITS LONG, BUT IM JUST WORRY! I've probably damaged my pancreas or something. I'm a bit scared. : (

Closed Thread

Tags
abdominal pain, dentist, extraction, infection