It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
(male)

Pweiding HB User
Question Constant Pain after Fillings

Hi everyone!

So I'll keep it short as I can, it sounds like some of you have experienced something like this and I could use some advice.

I had filling done on both sides of my mouth after going to the dentist a few weeks ago, and we split them into two trips, right side first, then left.

My fillings on the right went fine, but the ones on the left are driving me crazy!
I had it done last Thursday (9 days ago from time of writing) and the throbbing in my jaw on that side is bad enough that I cannot fall asleep without Ibuprofen. It will also wake me from a dead sleep if it wears off. I thought it would take some time to heal, but this seems longer than usual.

I went back yesterday and the dentist put some De-sensitizer on them (4 fillings on the left, one big one) and told me to wait it out a bit longer. I wonder though, because it doesn't seem to have helped. The sensitivity to heat and cold is bad enough that I can't chew with that side and three of the four teeth throb at even the slightest press from my finger or tongue.

What should I do? Have you experienced this? Should I just keep waiting?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Old 08-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
(female)

Daenyris HB User
Re: Constant Pain after Fillings

My sympathy! I know that dental pain can be bad. Could he have hit a nerve, either while drilling or with the anesthesia injection? If you think he's usually a good dentist, I'd call him again. If that doesn't work, I guess I'd look for another dentist. Maybe, as some people here have suggested for other things, you might get work done at a dental school.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Skipp930 HB User

maybe your fillings are high, mine did the same thing

Old 08-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
(female)

kaych01 HB User

I just posted about a very similar situation! I had some cavities on both sides, and we split them into two trips. So far I've only had the right side done because of insurance (I have to wait till next year for the others). But it's been over a month, and the pain in two of the five teeth is so bad with cold and hot that I also can't chew on that side. Also for the past week, my ear has been hurting a lot, and the whole right side of my mouth/ear (including neck and cheek at times) will hurt after I've been chewing food for a bit--but not when biting down. The ear/tooth pain has also been waking me up at night, after the pain killers wear off. I have no idea what the problem is, but I plan to go back to the dentist this week and see what he thinks. I'll let you know if I find out anything helpful--I'm honestly terrified of getting the other side done now, for fear of the same thing happening!

So sorry you're having this problem too. It's such a pain! (literally!)

Old 08-26-2012, 06:09 AM   #5
(female)

Tropic HB User

maybe your bite is off now. have them check your bite and maybe shave down just a little bit. also, the next step would be a crown on these teeth or a root canal. i have had root canals done over the crowns, the endo drills straight through the crown. the pain goes away after the root canal is done. they are expensive, though. sometimes, teeth have deep cavities and the fillings are very close to the nerve. use that toothpaste for sensitive teeth, it helps. sometimes, it gets sticky between the patient and the dentist when the problems start to get hard to fix. if you have a good dentist, be patient. but it gets expensive. once your bite starts to go off, problems start to happen with your jaw. have them check your bite really good and then see from there.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #6
(male)

Troubledguy HB User

Mine took weeks to settle down. I was having similar pain to you guys and I had to just sit it out.

I had a white filling done a few years ago and it took weeks to be able to chew on that side. I was panicking that I had an infection, but it ended up fine.

Now the same filling chipped so I had to have it redone. I had it done Friday 3rd of August, same pain again for weeks (inlcuding ear ache), but I can now chew on that side 80%.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-25-2012 at 04:58 AM. Reason: inappropriate

Closed Thread

Tags
dental issues, fillings, root canals, tooth sensitivity pain, toothache