It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
(female)

colby1128 HB User
unexplained pain after root canal

I was wondering what your thoughts were about a root canal I had done almost 4 months ago. There was no infection prior to RC and I had it crowned right after. After the RC there was pain that has never gone away. The tooth is tender and I have to take ibuprofen for the pain. Chewing is ok, a little pressure but no real pain on biting. No hot or cold sensitivity.For the past week I've my gums along one side of tooth is bleeding. I've had 5 dentists and 3 endos look at it and xrays and they all say everything looks good.
I know there are rare cases like this that take a long time to heal, but the pain isn't getting milder. I'm not sure if I should go ahead and retreat just in case or if that could make things worse. I would really appreciate your thoughts. No one seems to have any way to guide me and I can't live with this pain much longer.
Thank you!!

Last edited by colby1128; 08-26-2012 at 06:39 PM.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
(female)

Tropic HB User
Re: unexplained pain after root canal

I am having a problem with one of my root canals. there is throbbing pain, not too bad, but bad enough that I want to rip it out. i just had it filled last monday, because the filling after the root canal wasn't enough there. also, i think my bite may be hitting it, the tooth below it may be hitting it and that will cause pain. if it gets worse, i want it out!! I have been reading here and I can always get an implant, if it is not too expensive, which I know it will be. I hear you about the pain. I think if we have to take ibrprofen, then there may be something going on there, maybe gum disease or a cracked tooth or something....
good luck with yours.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
(female)

Tropic HB User

I read on here that you can get an apico done on that tooth (the next step), but someone wrote on here that she had the whole works on all her molars, crowns, root canals, apicos, and she had to have them removed. She said she spent thousands.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
(female)

colby1128 HB User

How long ago did you have your root canal? It could be something as simple as the bite off from a high filling. Definitely have your dentist check that. I wouldn't be quick to take the tooth out. See if the bite adjustment helps, if xrays show anything, etc... see what your dentist says. I know an implant sounds easy, but there is nothing like the real tooth.
That is why i am holding out as long as i can bear it. If no one can point to what the problem is, I can't bring myself to just take the tooth out. I'm even hesitant to retreat the root canal b/c they say it looks good, but I think that may be my next step. At least then they will be in there and can see if there's a crack.
let me know what your dentist says. i hope it 's just a bite adjustment you need!

Old 09-10-2012, 04:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi,
Pain can also be from the gum. If you have dental pockets, saliva will get into the pocket and inflame the gum itself. This can make it feel like you have a toothache.

Try toothpaste for sensitive teeth. That's what worked for one of mine that I just couldn't find out what was wrong with it. Also, it's very important to floss completely around the tooth.

It;s a simple fix if it works. Hope it works as well for you as it did for me. My tooth was very painful until I tried the toothpaste and more thorough flossing.

GOOD LUCK and I hope it helps!
Gellia

Closed Thread