It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
(female)

Skip4 HB UserSkip4 HB UserSkip4 HB User
7-8 month wait in pain..

I need to get my 2 lower wisdom teeth removed surgically... I'm on the waiting list, it is around a 7-8 month wait now after applying to go on the list in Feb.

For the past 10 weeks my wisdom tooth keeps getting infected on the left side repeatedly... it's 3 weeks infected, 1-2 weeks not, infected again, ok again..

Docs and dentist just keep prescribing me the same ol' antibiotics and I'm now on strong painkillers which aren't working as I post this

Anyone else been through this and have some tips on how to retain my sanity while I wait to get them out?

I can't afford to get them out privately to speed up the process at this stage..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

tanyasue HB Usertanyasue HB Usertanyasue HB User
Re: 7-8 month wait in pain..

Try clove oil. You have to dllute it in olive oil, but it not only numbs it, it's anti-bacterial. My friend with the same issue swears by swishing with diluted peroxide. I imagine you may be able to keep the infection in check if you do that. I've used clove oil for acute tooth aches and it really did help.

I'm sorry you have to wait!

The Following User Says Thank You to tanyasue For This Useful Post:
Skip4 (09-04-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

One other thing. Take ibuprofen fr tha pain too. It helps with inflammation, and in my experience is good for toothaches.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:45 AM   #4
(female)

Thanks Tanya, I will try the clove oil.

Unfortunately I can't take ibuprofen due to other medication I'm on so I'm just taking paracetamol and codeine.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Are you able to take any antiinflammatory, or are the all off limits? They help a ton with the pain.

Don't forget to dilute the cloe oil. You'll burn the tissue if you don't. Also, I always rub it on with my finger, but you can also put it on cotton and bite on it.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Yikes! Is there any way you can get bumped up? Constant infections like that are actually a real hazard, and eventually those antibiotics will stop working.

For now, you could try a topical anesthetic such as lidocaine. Sometimes it doesn't work as well in infected tissue, but sometimes it works fine.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
(female)

I'm not sure about other anti inflammatories, I just know there are some painkillers I can't take and ibuprofen is one of them :S

I didn't sleep last night and I finally caved in. Went to see my dentist today, got more painkillers, some antiseptic mouthwash and a referral to a private oral surgeon. I'm seeing him on Friday so I'll have to find out if I can pay bit by bit and how expensive it's going to be *waves goodbye to her social life for a few months*

My cheek is slightly swollen now and I have a pain in the bck of my head which is freaking me out. I know a tooth infection can hurt your whole head but I'm super paranoid about the possibility of the infection spreading to my brain :|

Someone tell me I'm being stupid and over reacting? XP

Last edited by Skip4; 09-05-2012 at 09:16 AM.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip4 View Post
I'm not sure about other anti inflammatories, I just know there are some painkillers I can't take and ibuprofen is one of them :S

I didn't sleep last night and I finally caved in. Went to see my dentist today, got more painkillers, some antiseptic mouthwash and a referral to a private oral surgeon. I'm seeing him on Friday so I'll have to find out if I can pay bit by bit and how expensive it's going to be *waves goodbye to her social life for a few months*

My cheek is slightly swollen now and I have a pain in the bck of my head which is freaking me out. I know a tooth infection can hurt your whole head but I'm super paranoid about the possibility of the infection spreading to my brain :|

The antibiotics will take are of it spreading to your brain, but dental infections are serious. I think you are wise to figure out a way to pay for it privately. I haven't had a life in 6 months paying for my dental work. I caved and went to Mexico for my work!

From what I've seen the infections are when people don't treat the problem-either because they can't afford it, or because they are in denial. You should be just fine. It usually takes 24-48 hours for them to take careof the swelling.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #9
(female)

Tropic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip4 View Post

If you can, forgot about WAITING. Get these teeth removed asap. If I were you, I would do everything in my power to get this problem solved. Even if it means dipping into your savings, or ask them about a payment plan, whatever it takes, just get these teeth removed. It's too bad that you can't take ibuprofen because that particular med relieves my toothaches, etc. I know it's no fun to be in pain, and since it hurts to bad, we tend to think the infection will spread to other areas, etc. But, yeah, please do not wait to have this procedure done, like NOW.
That suggestion of swishing hydrogen peroxide in your mouth and then spitting it out is a good suggestion. hydrogen peroxide is super cheap and it will penetrate into the infected area and may help with the infection, but do continue to take your antibiotics and pain relievers. Good luck and I hope you get betters soon.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:40 PM   #10
(female)

I've only got $600 in my savings. No idea how much this is going to cost but I know it'll be over $1,000. Guess I'll find out tomorrow. I'm hoping they can give me a payment plan, I'm sure they must have something like that available because this sort of thing is expensive so not everyone would be able to pay it out in one go.

Thanks for your replies, it's good to be able to talk about it while I'm waiting to find out when I can get it done and how I'm going to pay for it. I'd started going a bit crazy over it.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:22 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

One other thing I'd mention. With the infection, make sure you're getting enough rest, eating healthy (soup vs ice cream, no soda, etc), and all around giving your body what it needs to fight the infection.

Closed Thread