It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
(female)

gotno HB User
19 & Considering Dentures

With how close 2013 is and not knowing how long the process itself will take, I'm expecting to be 20 by the time I'm finally in dentures and healed up from all the rest of the business. I'm not sure, and I'm completely clueless as to how this whole process will go down. I'd like to know, I'd like some comfort in this mess, so I'm going to explain some of my dental issues.

My mouth is the mouth of a monster. I have a cavity on every tooth except one - my new wisdom tooth that's almost completely in. I'm getting that removed as soon as the infection in my mouth is gone. I have crowding so bad that I actually have two teeth on their side. My right upper fang is tilted and looks pointy now - it's not pointy, it's just on it's side. I have no idea when it got that way. I recently had a front tooth removed because of an abscess. I have two lower teeth that practically have their own row. My very front right tooth is dead. Other teeth are dying. I have a class 3 underbite. I was once informed (when I was younger and still fixable) that I would have to undergo braces, widening of the upper jaw, shortening of the lower jaw, and removal of most of my teeth to avoid further crowding. Surgery scared me, the ortho told me to get lost because my teeth weren't perfectly white, and I gave up after that. (I was 16.)

Yesterday, I was told I should seriously consider getting dentures rather quickly. She said if everything went well and my bone didn't recede too much after all teeth were removed, I could probably get implants to just clip my lower dentures in. Most have agreed this sounds like the best move.

I want opinions, facts, how your dental procedures went, how to care for your mouth/dentures, etc...

I'm sorry this post is really sloppy, I'm all over the place mentally because of this. I have lots of mixed feelings about my situation. This is all because I refused to take care of my mouth growing up - literally.

If anyone wants pictures I will provide.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
(female)

TMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB User
Re: 19 & Considering Dentures

Is orthodontics an option? You can have some teeth (the most diseased ones) removed and line up the remainder using that room. Teeth that are still diseased can be fixed with crowns later on. Yes, this is going to cost you a lot but dentures at 20 seems pretty rough to me. Dentures accelerate bone loss so in 10-15 years you will look much older than you really are due to that bone loss. Implant supported denture is a better option but at your age is still way less than desirable and very drastic (in my opinion). And it is still coming with a hefty tag (comparable to what you will pay for braces).
My advice would be to consult with a skilled orthodontist first, and go from there. Ortho consultations are free in most places so you can have several. That will for sure help you make an informed decision in this important issue. Good luck to you!

Old 09-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
(female)

gotno HB User
Re: 19 & Considering Dentures

After some serious thinking and consideration, I think I'm just going to go through with it. No, not all of my teeth need absolute extraction right now, but they will eventually, as I am rather serious when I say every tooth has a cavity - trust me, I've seen x-rays multiple times from multiple dentists.

I trust this dentist I have. He's really nice and has treated me well. When I came to him, confessing a bad experience with a prior dentist (and some from my other dentists), he took good care of me and I couldn't believe how minimal the pain was. I have already had several teeth removed and I still have crowding. It's so bad that I couldn't floss if I wanted to. If you can't see a cavity, I guarantee there'd be one between my teeth or hidden behind them.

It's horrible, and I kind of feel a little depressed that I didn't just listen when growing up. I failed to care and keep up with my teeth. It's truly my own fault, but now I have to make a decision.

I asked my boyfriend if he would stay, and what he thinks. He says he will and that I'd probably feel better in the long run. To be honest, I could really give a crap about how I would look with false teeth. Let's face it - it's not any better to smile looking like I smoke meth and getting questioned about it. I'd rather have flabby lips.

My grandmother (who I grew up with) had all of her teeth removed at a fairly young age due to lack of calcium in her teeth after five children. Where she is now, 59 now, she tells me I would probably be happier to just remove my teeth and not risk any higher risk of being hospitalized due to the rot found throughout my mouth, whether it be the teeth or my infected, disease gums.

Wish me luck. I intend to do my research on dentures and press for all the information, and I'll have my grandmother present to help advise me on what to do and what not to do. I'll likely go with implants on my lower jaw to help preserve things a little longer.

Those who have dentures in my life are saying go for it, as are those who sincerely care about my health.

Thank you all for your messages and comments and thoughts on the matter. Every word shall seriously be taken into account and will be used to help me defend myself against stupid dentists.

EDIT: LOL, some friends on another forum said they'd donate money to me if I used the money to buy rainbow dentures! Rainbow teeth! Honestly, I'd wear them everywhere...

Last edited by gotno; 09-14-2012 at 05:55 PM.

Closed Thread