It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 07:42 AM   #1
(male)

wowzers HB User
did i need a crown?

i'm really worried my dentist gave me a crown and i didn't need one. i started having some pretty bad pain one saturday drinking/eating. i looked at the tooth and saw what appeared to be a thin horizontal line at the base. i also have two old (~20 years old) mercury fillings in this tooth right beside this line. the pain went away on sunday but came back again a little on monday.

tuesday dentist got a cold stick (don't know what the instrument is called) and touched around the tooth and only once was it very sensitive. he said it did appear to be a slight crack and i should get it crowned now to avoid it getting more serious and needing a root canal in the future. i believed him and got the temp crown, and have to go in a few weeks later for the permanent.

anyway, he said that when i hold cold water on the tooth if it is a lingering pain, that's a sign the crack went to the pulp. well, a few days later i noticed on the other side of my mouth the same line/crack looking thing, also sensitive to cold (i also have just 1 amalgram on that tooth). i went back to the dentist and he inspected that tooth and said that line was a ridge and it wasn't cracked.

i'm concerned that if both teeth have similar sensitivity and similar "ridges," then the one that got crowned wasn't even cracked in the first place and it was a misdiagnosis. maybe i just had a toothache? since you don't have many teeth, having one sawed away hurts my pride if it turns out i didn't need it after all. i wish i had waited a week or two to see if the pain got any worse. does it sound like that tooth needed a crown after all?

Last edited by wowzers; 09-25-2012 at 07:50 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
(female)

renko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB User
Re: did i need a crown?

I think your dentist was right because my molar has a crack in it and my insurance won't pay for it unless it is broken which means a root canal which costs more money. If your insurance pays for a crown, I would get a crown. I still have to pay half if the insurance agrees to pay for a crown. They are very expensive and any tooth that has sensitivity and a crack or line could break and could cause more pain so I think you did the right thing. Some dentist want the money but most of them you can trust to tell you the truth. Best wishes to you. It is no fun having any pain.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
(female)

TMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB User
Re: did i need a crown?

I think you did the right thing. As long as the crown is properly done, you will be better off compared to where you started (two 20 year old amalgame fillings in a painful tooth). The properly done and cared for crown should last you at least a decade, perhaps even longer, sometimes 20+ years. Most importantly, it strengthens the tooth while fillings weaken the tooth. So don't stress, you should be fine.

Closed Thread