It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
(male)

Tribulation HB User
Had my wisdom teeth extracted yesterday, wondering what I should look out for

I had all of my wisdom teeth extracted about 22 hours ago. The extraction site of the top teeth haven't really hurt. My bottom sites haven't simply hurt since nine hours ago. I woke up at 3 AM, they were hurting more than yesterday, I took a painkiller, they started to stop hurting awhile later, I went back to sleep, and now they're just fine. They will hurt when I move my mouth certain ways, but it's not a big problem.

My jaw joints are where most of the pain is. When I open my mouth too wide, which isn't much, they hurt a fair amount, I can't open my mouth as wide as it can go yet. I think I'm able to open it more than I was earlier though.

I'm mostly watching out for dry socket. I can't see back there real well but when I do peer into my mouth via mirror and a flashlight, I don't see a hole or bone or anything. I think I see blood clots, but I can't tell. Does everything sound normal so far? Or should this jaw pain worry me?

Old 09-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Had my wisdom teeth extracted yesterday, wondering what I should look out for

Sounds perfectly normal to me. They had to wrestle the teeth out. Your jaws should be sore for a while.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
(male)

Tribulation HB User
Re: Had my wisdom teeth extracted yesterday, wondering what I should look out for

Alright, thanks for the response. I wasn't really worried until my mother started warning me about dry socket constantly. She's the kind of person who can make you run to the emergency room becuase of a sneeze.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
(male)

NeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB User

I wouldn't let it scare/bother you it is normal, as they say it's major surgery to have teeth pulled and trauma. I think you'll be fine just take it easy and rinse to keep the food out as told most likely.

I had 15 uppers pulled in a row when I was younger, and was pretty scared but only took 1 Tylenol 3 that evening, wondering worrying and waiting for the worst and lucky me it did never come, I smoked right after and was bad but no dry socket issues or anything, now my wife had one and it put her down as bad or worst than a bad tooth infection.... sooo be careful and you'll be fine take care good luck

took a few to get back and send that there ya go looks like you got some help

Last edited by NeckIssueGuy; 09-26-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
(male)

Tribulation HB User

Might food stuck in an extraction site cause pain? I ate some scrambled eggs several hours ago and bits of egg got stuck in the bottom sites. I finally got it out of one from rinsing my mouth out a lot. The other one is quite wedged in their though and I'm not sure it will be coming out without the aid of special tools. That hole has been stinging lately. The other one had egg in it for some hours too but it never stung, so I'm not sure if the egg is irritating the other site or if the site it simply hurting of its own accord.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
(male)

NeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB User

I picked at mine with a tooth brush, never had a issue but you may want to be really careful, but it takes quite a bit with some foods, yes it could make it sting and if you broke the clot loose is a possibility, but you will want the food out one way or another sometimes it pushes out as it heals, but i wouldn't count on it.
when I had all them teeth pulled it felt like I had been hit in the jaw with a baseball bat for a few days you will feel better soon.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #7
(male)

Tribulation HB User

It's pretty lodged in there, I don't think I can get it out with a toothbrush. I'll keep trying though. Worse comes to worse, my dentist can remove it when I see him for my follow up in a few days.

Fortuantely, my other three extraction sites aren't really giving me any trouble so far.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
(male)

Bear19067 HB User

I'm in the same boat. I had a tooth extracted this past Monday. So I'm looking out for the dreaded, "Dry Socket," as well. As for your procedure, that's a lot of trauma for your mouth. Expect lots of discomfort for the next seven days or so. And definitely, without question, keep taking your pain meds. Best of luck to you!

Old 09-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
(male)

Tribulation HB User

Surprisingly enough, I haven't had much pain with the places where my teeth used to be. Sometimes they'll hurt a bit at random, or when I moved my mouth the wrong way or sneeze, but nothing major. What's causing me pain though is a muscle underneath my jaw. It feels a bit swollen, and it hurts a lot whenever I chew or move my tongue too far left. It makes me think of the time my lymph nodes swelled up. It started hurting a few days ago and unfortunately has gotten worse with time. Ibuprofin tend to help with the pain for a bit, at least.

Also, sometimes when I drink cold water or milk and it hits the bottom left hole, I feel a sharp pain and it's left stinging for a bit. This only started last night. I imagine that I'm probably hitting a nerve, but why would it take so many days to start? I don't know if I'm still in danger of dry socket but I'd think that if I do have it, that that part of my mouth would be hurting mostly non-stop, but it's not really hurting that much.

Last edited by Tribulation; 09-30-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
(male)

Tribulation HB User

Well, my extraction sites rarely hurt anymore (only my bottom left one when I drink something cold for some reason, but my dentist didn't seem worried about that), but now my cheek bones are aching real bad, it feels like someone's been pressing on them for awhile. Is cheek bone pain normal? It's been eight days since my wisdom teeth were removed.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #11
(male)

cisman HB User

Did you ever figure out why your jaw was hurting. I'm now on Day and my biggest pain is my Jaw. All the sudden it feels really sore like I've overstretched it. I know they went nuts getting the tooth out, but I wonder why it's just now starting to hurt?

The following user gives a hug of support to cisman:
Terri1965 (11-15-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #12
(female)

Terri1965 HB User

Cisman,

If you have any concerns at all, contact your dentist - don't wonder, they will be able to put your mind at rest.

My daughter had her wisdom teeth out earlier this year and like your's, one was a real doozy to extract.

She only had 1 week of pain, and never experienced anything further.

Call your dentist if you are worried. After all you paid them a small fortune for the experience.

Closed Thread