It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
(male)

smartymcfly HB User
Question Crown set was incorrect crown...

I recently had a crown on my lower left back molar and for some reason unknown there was a mistake in the type of crown he set. After the procedure was finished the assistant had me look in the mirror and I seen there was a porcelain crown when there was supposed to be a high noble crown. The dentist didn't say much except that he did so many porcelain crowns so often in his office that he didn't realize I specifically asked for high noble, and then went on to say the crown was just as good and there was high noble underneath the porcelain and that to replace I would have to endure the procedure all over again etc...Basically leading into him getting me to agree that I didn't want to endure the drilling and temporary crown again but who would if they had the choice, the reason I requested high noble in the first place was in case I ever needed to have the crown replaced it would atleast have a little bit of return value.. I didn't know what to say, I am still dumfounded by the mistake and still can't believe there is no offer to fix the problem. The dentist's office hasn't returned my call since and I called requesting that it be fixed.

Any help as how to approach the problem would be great.

Thank You

Last edited by mod85; 10-03-2012 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Mistated Title

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

TMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB User
Re: Crown set was incorrect crown...

First, I want to say that of course it is disappointing. You specifically requested one thing and got another. This is frustrating. However, mistakes do happen and now you need to think of what would be the best solution for you in this new situation.
One way would be to insist that he does the procedure over again at no cost to you. As he said, you will have to endure taking the perfectly good crown out and inserting another temp. Very important: if that tooth had a root canal, it may break under this stress. Do you have extra money for tooth replacement? Also, there is always a possibility that a new crown will not fit well and you will spend more time and effort to come back and have it adjusted.
The other way would be to accept things the way they are. Especially if your bite is good and you have no other issues with that crown. If you decide to do that, you may (and should, in my opinion) get a partial refund if the gold crown costs more. You can request to have the difference refunded. You may also try to negotitate with the dentist some additional discount (such as extra 10% off to compensate for his error) if you feel doing so. It will cost him more to have the crown replaced anyway.
If it was my mouth and the crown fit perfectly, I would have just left it. Who knows that may be the best crown you've ever had.
I am sorry, I also have to say that in some ways, there seems to be some of your fault as well. You could have looked at the crown before it went in your mouth and recognized the mistake. Not trying to shift the blame (it is the dentist's error after all), just saying you could have prevented it from your part. Also wanted to add that I have been in the situation when the dentist screwed up and did not return my calls. If you decide you want to have it replaced and they do not call you back, I think you should go there in person, make them agree to do it and schedule an appointment. That is the only way I see this will be done in a timely manner.

Last edited by TMJ82; 09-29-2012 at 07:41 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to TMJ82 For This Useful Post:
smartymcfly (10-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
(male)

smartymcfly HB User

I am adding this so you can see why it is all the more frustrating to me. I paid around $1200 out of pocket for the crown which was to be high noble, the same price as a porcelain crown.... I am away at school 2,000 miles away from home and my dental coverage is out of network, if I was in network my insurance would have covered a porcelain crown for $300 copay, and when I was on the phone with customer service rep from the insurance I asked for the price of porcelain (above) and then asked the price for a gold crown in which she said they don't cover gold crowns, the fact that the CSR may not have known that gold is a noble metal may have been the reason why she said it was not covered.... The tooth wasn't causing pain although every once in awhile i could feel that it was cracked when I bit down wrong but no imminent danger.... I didn't mind paying for the convenience of having it done and preventing the tooth from ache and also preventing root canal. I would be paying an extra $300-400 for high noble at home so it would be smart to pay less here... I would have gladly paid $300 when I went home if I wanted porcelain but I wanted the high noble in the case the crown ever had to be replaced and also for it's durability in that will not wear on my other teeth especially since I grind my teeth so the porcelain is going to destroy the teeth it grinds with. I wouldn't want to go through the procedure if I had the choice, of course I was going to have him fix the tooth but he never offered to fix it.

Last edited by smartymcfly; 09-30-2012 at 12:58 AM.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi,
Are you sure high noble isn't what you received? When I had four crowns placed (and my DH has 8), the choice was all gold, high noble (which was a high content of gold with porcelain over), low noble (a less amount of gold with porcelain), or a base metal (cheaper yet) with porcelain.

What I asked for was high noble. What I got was a high noble content of gold with porcelain over the top. This was what my dentist called high noble.

Is it possible that you got what you asked for but didn't understand the differences?

Of course it should have been clarified better, but didn't you see the crown before it was placed?

IMO what it sounds like you got was a high noble crown. If you had wanted all gold with the yellow gold showing, it should have been an all gold crown that you asked for and received.
If you asked for high noble, which is what I asked for also, that's what you got.
High noble gold with porcelain over top.

Hope this helps. If it were me, I'm with TMJ82. You can try to negotiate a partial refund but as for replacing the crown, I'd let sleeping dogs lie.

GOOD LUCK and best to you,
Gellia

The Following User Says Thank You to Gellia For This Useful Post:
smartymcfly (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
(male)

smartymcfly HB User

I specifically asked for a Gold crown when I requested it. The office/dental assistant informed me that a high noble crown is dentist's language for what most people view as a gold crown. The crown they gave me is porcelain is attached to high noble metal which I previously had on my 1st crown 5 years ago. The 1st crown is already near to the point of replacement another factor in the reason I requested Gold or High Noble. From what I understand, dentist's do not use all gold crowns. But rather alloys of high noble metal including gold Gold is noble metal

Last edited by mod85; 10-03-2012 at 11:14 PM.

Closed Thread