It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
(female)

Alejandra M HB User
swelling 4 weeks after oral surgery

Hallo!

I had my wisdom teeth surgery four weeks ago, bottom jaw and right side. I had complication afterwards: two days after the surgery the wound started to bleed, due to injuring the small blood vessel during the surgery. The doctor removed one part of the stitches and inserted a piece of gauze. Few days afterwards she removed the gauze and let it heal by itself, it was OK in the beginning but then the wound begun to smell bad and I felt some pain. Then, the surgeon removed all the stiches, cleaned the wound with curette and repeated a gauze treatment two more times. I felt better; everything went well for about a week. She showed me how to rinse the wound with saline. She told me I could go on the voyage (I am still away, for work). But, the first day after the flight I noticed that my cheek was slightly swollen, also that some blood came out of the wound after rinsing. This was two weeks ago. The blood did not reappear, but my cheek is still slightly swollen. I took an antibiotic (aminokscilin 500, 2 times a day), It did not get better nor worst.
Today I saw a dentist (not the oral surgeon) and she looked into the wound and sad that everything is fine. She did not even consider the possibility of another antibiotic.
So I am wondering: is it possible that I am fine and doing well ?? After all, this swelling is persisting for two weeks. Can she know that everything is OK just by looking the wound, without performing any tests? Could I still have an infection?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
(female)

TMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB User
Re: swelling 4 weeks after oral surgery

I am not a dentist but I think that it is relatively easy to see if the extraction site is infected. Look up infection, it is almost always manifested in bleeding, pus and significant pain. Your swelling may be a result of significant trauma to the face, given so many complications. I think it will go away. However, if you are worried, get a 2nd opinion.

The Following User Says Thank You to TMJ82 For This Useful Post:
Alejandra M (09-29-2012)
Old 09-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
(female)

Alejandra M HB User
Re: swelling 4 weeks after oral surgery

Thanks a lot!!! This is conforting!

Closed Thread

Tags
infection, swelling, wisdom extraction