It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
(male)

Kevinpr HB User
Question Swollen lymph gland after tooth extraction

Hi all, this is my first post. I should give you some history first before i ask my question.

I have had a infected canine for about 4 years. Every few months, i would get an abscess which would be painfull but only last a few days. When the abcess was gone, if i pressed my tounge against the back of the tooth pus would be pushed throught the gum and this would happen all the time, it never stopped.

I went to my dentist several times about it. Even changed dentist and i have to say they all were not great. I either got "i dont know", "pay me £5000 and i will give you an implant" to "your tooth will last another 15 years if you take care of it". That is actually what my last dentist said to me two weeks before i moved to the Czech Republic telling them i was going to get the implant but in Czech for a fifth of the price.

Anyway, a few days after moving i got another abcess. It went away as usual but this time it left my tooth loose, and it was very pain full to eat. So i went to a dentist here who advised me i would have to get the tooth pulled.

So three days ago the tooth was pulled. After the first day my lymph node under my ear, behind my jaw, began to swell. By day two, it was huge. (About an inch by an inch) my neck is visibally swollen. Having said that i am in no pain... Except the pressure on the gland and general head movment.

I have been to the doctor and a dental surgeon and they don't seem to know what it is as i have no visible infection anywhere. And as i said, i am in no discomfort at all.

So, finally, my question. Is it possible, that because my body was constantly fighing my tooth infection for 4 years that now the lymph node is a little hyperactive?

I am on antibiotics etc and following the doctors orders but i was just wondering why its so swollen.

Thanks for your responces.

Kevin

Last edited by Kevinpr; 10-05-2012 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
(female)

Kass490 HB UserKass490 HB UserKass490 HB User
Re: Swollen lymph gland after tooth extraction

Ask them if you might have a dry socket. With all the infection you'd been having, it wouldn't surprise me at all that there's some surrounding tissue corruption.
IF you have a dry socket, they will have to clean it out and pack it with antiseptic wadding, maybe several times.

Frankly, I'm kinda surprised they didn't come up with this, swollen lymph is one of the signs of DS

PS: don't go pushing or massaging your lymph node, you'll release poison into your system you may not be able to handle; no heat either. Leave it alone

Old 10-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #3
(male)

Kevinpr HB User

Thanks kass490 for the response.

When they pulled the tooth the cleaned all the tissue out, i still cringe when i remember the noise.

So far, i have been to see two doctors, a orthodontist, and a dental surgeon. I have had ultra sound on my neck and loads of probing. They have all examined me and i think we can rule out dry socket, only because i dont think they all would miss it. I have never had one but from what i have read it is very painful. But i am in no pain at all. I am currently taking some serious antibiotics which have reduced the swelling. I foolishly was massaging it thinking it was helping but have stopped about 4 days ago. It has shrunk so i am happy. I was worried, because i was not in pain and apparently cancer does not hurt (read that on the internet, which is where i got the massage advice also).

Thanks again for the advice

K

Old 10-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
(female)

Kass490 HB UserKass490 HB UserKass490 HB User

Good. the lymph system does all sorts of things, but when the body is overtaxed, it will store toxins in the glands which it can't deal with at the moment.
I bet you're pretty sick of going to doctors.
I'm very interested in teeth at the moment, since I seem to be losing most of my crowned ones. GAH!
Good luck

Old 10-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
(male)

Kevinpr HB User

You bet, I am getting really sick of them!! I have been to the Dentist/Hygienist everyday this week and have an appointment with the orthodontist on Monday for braces and false tooth. And also an appointment with the dental surgeon on Monday for the gland.

Facing years of work i think but thank god that dental care is so cheap here. because i could not afford this work in at home in Ireland of the UK.

Hope you sort your teeth out.

Kevin

Closed Thread

Tags
hyperactivity, lymph, lymph node, tooth extraction