It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
(male)

Fitman40 HB User
Gum pocket problem. Need solutions!

I have a question about pockets that form in the gums next to the teeth. My hygienist says I have them and they keep getting deeper. She suggests flossing, which I do every night, but the problem is still getting worse. Then she suggested using Colgate Total because it contains Triclosan, which she thought would help. It doesnít seem to be. I also have been using a water jet (oral irrigator) and even started rinsing in the morning with hydrogen peroxide. I still donít see any results, and am getting concerned. I am 41 and have heard this can happen at this age and that gum pockets that are deep can lead to root problems. Is there anything else I can do?

Old 10-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
(female)

WW2ER HB UserWW2ER HB UserWW2ER HB User
Re: Gum pocket problem. Need solutions!

In some cases, health issues and medication can contribute to deeper pockets around your teeth.

1, 2, 3 mm are all considered within normal limits. Usually, 4 mm depth pockets indicates that you need to concentrate on brushing and flossing more diligently. Has your hygienist suggested "proxy brushes" to use between your teeth? Some people find that they get good results going this route.

How many times a year are you getting your teeth cleaned? If you're only going in once a year, it may be to your advantage to start on a every 3-4 month regime to see if that makes a big difference.

Is your mouth the sort that builds up a lot of calculus-tartar? If so, more cleanings could also be a help.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

i have the same problem w/ the area around crowns. which I seem to be more of every year. They did inject some sort of antibiotic or something in them one time. I do know if I'm a good girl and floss and brush and waterpik (ugh, I have pain in my hands and it makes the flossing hard) it does seem to get better. Seems like there is a rinse as well as about that.

massaging the gums helps too they tell me but who thinks of that? Cathy

Old 10-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
(male)

Fitman40 HB User

The depth actually is now around 4mm. My hygienist didn't say anything about proxy brushes that I can remember, but I'll ask about it next time.

I've been getting my teeth cleaned every 6 months, which she thinks is enough. She has told me that my mouth is the sort that builds up plaque and tartar. Said it has something to do with my body's chemistry being acidic.

I've had pockets before, but it seems strange now that I'm doing more to take care of them, the more there are and the deeper they get. I feel like I've used all the options that I know exist.

Does using hydrogen peroxide as a rinse do anything to help/hurt?

Last edited by Administrator; 01-27-2013 at 11:45 PM.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
(female)

WW2ER HB UserWW2ER HB UserWW2ER HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitman40 View Post
The depth actually is now around 4mm. My hygienist didn't say anything about proxy brushes that I can remember, but I'll ask about it next time.

I've been getting my teeth cleaned every 6 months, which she thinks is enough. She has told me that my mouth is the sort that builds up plaque and tartar. Said it has something to do with my body's chemistry being acidic.

I've had pockets before, but it seems strange now that I'm doing more to take care of them, the more there are and the deeper they get. I feel like I've used all the options that I know exist.

Does using hydrogen peroxide as a rinse do anything to help/hurt?
Typically, if you have scattered 4 mm pockets, this is not a major concern if everything else is in fine condition. Have your hygienist review your flossing techniques, it may be something as simple as "flossing too aggressively". Do you have bleeding between your teeth? If so, then you need to have your hygienist review your complete home care techniques. A healthy mouth should not bleed when either flossing or when she checks your pocket depths. Have you expressed your concerns with your dentist when you have your yearly oral exam?

If you feel that conditions are continuing to deteriorate on your next visit, ask your dentist if he-she feels a referral to a. Periodontist is warranted.

I too, buildup large amount of calculus on my lower front teeth despite brushing and flossing twice a day. Unfortunately, that's the way my body chemistry operates-LOL

No thoughts regarding the peroxide oneway or other

Old 10-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
(male)

Fitman40 HB User

She went over flossing technique as best she could the last time I was there and I'm doing my best with it, but I hope it's good enough. I don't do it too aggressively, at least I don't think so. No bleeding while flossing either. My hygienist in fact thinks my gums are quite healthy. I don't remember if there was bleeding as she was checking for pocket depth though, but it did hurt when she poked her probe into the pockets that were deeper. I have the same pain when I floss in those areas, which is how I know they're still there.

The reason I gave hydrogen peroxide a try is because I heard it kills germs. I've heard that bacteria can build up in those gum pockets, so I figured killing them off would help. So far, no change.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-27-2013 at 11:44 PM.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #7
(male)

WhoU80 HB User

The good news is that gum tissue can grow and return back to normal once it is healthy.

I believe all the answers given here are great. There are few more items you can try.

Chlorhexidine rinse of some sort (your dentist can prescribe something) is great for helping gums. It is not expensive, but it can stain your teeth. I had some dental work and used this rinse - but instead of rinsing my entire mouth, I used an applicator to apply the rinse directly to the gum tissue in the appropriate areas. I have a tiny sponge device, but you can easily use a cotton swab. This will allow the rinse to last longer and reduces any staining considerably.

I would also get some saline. Even a nasal saline spray is fine - this will allow you to spray the appropriate areas to rinse. To prevent teeth staining from the chlorhexidine, follow with your peroxide treatment as you are doing now. Lightly brush with a low concentration of peroxide on the brush. This will kill bacteria and help lighten your teeth. Even brush your tongue with the peroxide (just put a bit on the brush). Your tongue is loaded with bacteria, so a quick brush with peroxide will freshen it.

Also, there are these small brushes called "Go Betweens". There are various brands out there, but these tiny brushes are meant to, well, go between teeth. There have been times I removed additional food particles even after brushing and regular flossing due to the Go Between brush!

If you are already using a WaterPik type of device, make sure you have warm water and are at the right angle to really flush out the gums. That is, aim at a slightly downward angle for lower teeth at the gum line for each tooth (upward angle for teeth on top, of course). The advantage of a WaterPik is that it flushes out not just the sides of the teeth, like flossing and the Go Between brushes do, but also the front and back. Depending on the WaterPik device you own, you can even rinse with some fluoride mouthwash or chlorhexidine rinse (dilute them with warm water). This will further aid in your treatment.

I've been doing all of the above for an implant I had. The gum line was very high after the implant crown was placed on. Within weeks, my dentist was amazed not only at how healthy the gum tissue was in that area (and she did some additional gum removal to get the crown in just right), but at how the gum tissue also dropped over the crown. It is noticeable and looks healthier. Also, once I started using the WaterPik, one crown that always seemed to bleed slightly while flossing suddenly stopped. The flushing of the WaterPik really benefited that crown as well.

Honey can help your immune system - especially locally made honey. This will help against allergies and may help keep your mouth bacteria under control. However, there is sugar, of course. So after eating the honey, be sure to later brush/floss/WaterPik, etc.

Give your treatment a month or so. You might be surprised at your next check-up if you are very diligent in doing all of the above.

Good luck!

Old 11-14-2012, 08:43 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

riptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB User

Peroxide is useful against anaerobic bacteria, but the most useful product is chlorhexidine mouthwash. try using it in your water-pic and dip your proxibrush in it before use.

Closed Thread