It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
(male)

Stoler99 HB UserStoler99 HB User
Question about dentists

I'm in Longisland and go to this known Dentist.
I had an xray done and he told me i have 4 cavities.
Then i got another dentists opinion who took an xray and this dentist told me i have no cavities.
Then last July i got my teeth cleaned at the dentists office with the same dentist who said i had 4 cavities. I got an xray before the cleaning.
After the cleaning the dentist says i have 6 cavities and need a crown.
Then last week I happened to chip one of my back wisdom teeth on the bottom from eating popcorn.
I went to get an opinion from another dentist.
He did an xray of my teeth.
He said i could get a porcelain veneer or a crown to fill in the chip on my Wisdom tooth.
I also asked the dentist if i had any cavities.
This dentist was looking at the xrays and also was looking closely at my teeth. He said I have no cavities.
Can someone explain to me how 2 dentists can do xrays and say i have no cavities and this other known dentist says i have 6 cavities?
Thats why i always tell people get a 2nd opinion for everything.

Last edited by Stoler99; 11-11-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

riptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB User
Re: Question about dentists

Good advice to get a second opinion, but always ask the dentist for the x-rays. You don't want to get any more radiation than necessary.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

eric909 HB User

the situation is somehow confusing, the 2 dentists contradicts on the findings, I may also be confused on what to do. Maybe you will try to have a 3rd opinion from another dentist, I guess you will be spending another money for that.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
(female)

WW2ER HB UserWW2ER HB UserWW2ER HB User

There is a stage that the enamel of your teeth go through before it turns into actual decay. Some dentists philosophy is to drill and fill it before it turns into decay, more conservative approach is to keep an "eye" on these areas, and as long as you are able to keep your teeth clean it's possible that these spots will never advance into actual decay.
Typically, these pre-decay areas are between your teeth, so flossing daily is very important

So dentist A may be the drill and fill it type of guy, and dentist B may be a wait-and-see type of guy.

If you're flip-flopping between two different dentists, definitely try to minimize the amount of x-ray exposure.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

curly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB User

There r 2 ways to detect cavities. One is X-ray, the other is by using the hook instrument and sticking it into the 'sensitive' area to check for "mushiness". If the hook gets stuck in the area, its a cavity or on its way to becoming a cavity. These mushy areas may or may not appear on a X-ray depending on its size. X-ray will typically point out the obvious cavities. Also, if both doctors aren't x-raying the same exact area? They will get different results. Even if u feel like both dentist are x-raying the same exact area on your right cheek (for example), depending on where they place the bite guard in ur mouth, they may be x-raying your top teeth (right cheek) or bottom teeth (right cheek). Best way to get peace of mind would be to request copies of ur X-ray (usually for a fee) for the one with the cavity and show it to ur doc that hasn't found any cavity (or vice versa). It may be that they're both x-raying different areas which is why one is finding the cavities owhile the other one isn't.

For certain teeth, depending on location, an X-ray just serves as confirmation (for insurance companies) that the cavity exists. A seasoned dentist can look at a tooth that looks like it may have a cavity because of slight discoloration, and diagnose just with the hook instrument without needing an X-ray. If the hook sticks in to the tooth, hands down, it's a cavity. But procedure requires an X-ray to check the depth and how to proceed- filling or root canal.

As far as the wisdom tooth, I have no comments. I don't understand any work done to wisdom teeth!!!!!!

Oh, and I'm not a dental professional. My mom is a dental assistant and I've spent a lot of time hanging out at the office :-).

Closed Thread