It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
(female)

Raella HB User
What should I do? (front teeth issues)

I've always had too many teeth in my mouth, but as a child my parents couldn't afford braces. At around twelve, a friend's little sister sitting on my lap when she bucked her and head collided with one of my permanent front teeth. It broke it in half and over the following week I went to the dentist and had to get a root canal and get the bottom half of the tooth replaced. The top half is still real, but it's just 'dead.' Now, as an adult I am self conscious about how much darker the top of that front tooth is. It looks even worse each time I get my teeth cleaned or whitened. It's almost brown compared to my eggshell teeth. I once asked my dentist what could be done
about it, but since I was in my 20's she tried her best to convince me to get braces first and correct the problem later when my teeth were 'straight.' I'm older now, and I still just can't afford the time or money for braces...I'm in the market for professional jobs as well as dating so I really don't want a mouth full of metal. I can deal with crooked bottom teeth...I just want something done about that one top tooth that bucks out a little and is discolored...the rest of my top teeth look fine.

Long story short...do I have any options? Could I get it shaved down and have a veneer put over it? Could I have it pulled and have a full false tooth? Have it and the smaller tooth to it's right pulled and get a partial put in?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: What should I do? (front teeth issues)

hi my two upper front teeth overlapped and I had them crowned and it straightened them out I don't know if that's an option for you, Cathy

The Following User Says Thank You to noevr For This Useful Post:
Raella (11-13-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

curly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB User

For your situation, I would also go with a crown. There are more bad stories than good stories regarding veneers. A crown would definitely be more durable in the long run.

Having it pulled and getting an implant is also an option. But if the tooth is strong enough, I strongly advice against this. At the end of the day, there's no better substitution than your natural teeth!

The Following User Says Thank You to curly fry For This Useful Post:
Raella (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
(female)

Raella HB User

no34evr, that's exactly how I would describe my front tooth...it overlaps the other.

Thanks both of you for the advice! So it seems a crown is my best option? I'll be sure to bring it up to my dentist at my next visit. I hope it's affordable!

Old 11-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #5
(male)

WhoU80 HB User

A veneer is good for a tooth that has had some damage - not larger like you have (with a root canal procedure). Both procedures will grind down your tooth - so what's left of your tooth will be reduced. Both a veneer and a crown can be fitted to correct any overlap issues as well as match the color of your teeth. To do this, make sure you go to a GOOD cosmetic dentist. Some dentists advertise themselves as "cosmetic" but one doesn't necessarily take more classes to get this "title". A good cosmetic dentists works with you, your teeth and your goals to get the best possible result. And if you don't like it, he/she should be willing to work with you to help fix it.

What I wrote above is why there are horror stories about veneers. Dentists worry more about fixing the teeth than actual aesthetic result.

I have a veneer and it's ever so slightly off (maybe 0.5 mm). My dentist is willing to shave some of it and polish it as much as possible to make it work - and if I'm still unhappy, she will replace it. Given it's so minor, I think replacement is too extreme, but it's nice to know she's willing to do this.

But going back to your situation, a crown is probably better than a veneer. I had a far smaller chip in my tooth, but bonding just never worked. So the veneer was a good option for me. A crown is best for you - but again, make sure you have a dentist will to work with you on this. After all, it's a front tooth and it has to look good.

Good luck!

Last edited by WhoU80; 11-13-2012 at 09:16 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
discoloration