It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
(female)

norahs67 HB User
Nerve pain still there after root canal

I went to the dentist because I have pain below my cheek bone that feels as if I am pressing on a nerve. The dentist did two root canals--both teeth were next to each other--and the pain is still there as if nothing had been done to my teeth.

My primary care doctor said it is a dental issue, and the dentist says that pain should be gone after the root canals. Nothing shows up on the x-rays after the procedures were done.

Any idea what this could be?

Old 11-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
(male)

WhoU80 HB User
Re: Nerve pain still there after root canal

Sometimes there is a thing as "phantom pain". You've had pain in that area for so long that even though the issue behind it is resolved, you still feel it. That is, the nerves are adapting. So it may take a few days.

But if the pain persists even after that time, I recommend getting an MRI. This will help everyone see exactly what's going on. X-rays cannot reveal everything. There may be some other nerve issue that wasn't solved by the root canals.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
(female)

norahs67 HB User

Thanks for the info. I am on another round of antibiotics. The pain is above the tooth and when I press on my cheek, it feels as if I am touching a nerve. It was feeling a little better yesterday after being on the antibiotic for 24 hours, but now it is coming back. I will be seeing an endodontist if the antibiotics don't work.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
(female)

norahs67 HB User

Quick update--The endodontist said I did not need to be on any antibiotics. The root is aggravated from being worked on and it could take 4-6 weeks to settle down. If it doesn't after that time, I need to have a surgical procedure that lifts the gum and he works on the root. FYI on the antibiotic clindomycin--don't take it if you can avoid it. It's a horrible drug that will just make you feel worse.

Last edited by norahs67; 11-19-2012 at 07:55 PM.

Closed Thread