It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
(female)

Emmyonfire HB User
Help, having 12 teeth out, what to expect

I just got the call today, next Wednesday I'm going in to get the remains of my upper teeth removed, all 12 of them It's being done under IV sedation, so hopefully that bit will go OK, but I'm dreading the first few days, anyone got any, hopefully positive, stories to tell. Please keep any horror stories to yourself, I'm freaking out enough already I really don't need any help.

After a lot of thought I opted not to go for immediate dentures, going to wait a week or so and then go and get get measured up for my new teeth.

Having one tooth out throws me into a tail spin, 12 is just making me feel sick right now.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
(male)

manfellow HB User
Re: Help, having 12 teeth out, what to expect

I had the same thing done about 2 weeks ago but I had an immediate denture put in, in about another 2 weeks I'll have most of the bottoms pulled save a few to hold a partial in.
I didn't have any sort of sedation just the needles which were the worst part, especially the ones in the roof of my mouth. The extractions went quickly with no pain just pressure. He clipped and filed a few spots on my jaw bone then sewed me up and shoved the denture in.
I was expecting horrible pain in the follwing days but it wasn't bad at all, MUCH better than a bad toothache. Had bleeding for the first day and night and then swelling for the next few days. My big issues were feeling crummy from the whole ordeal/antibiotics/what ever infections they were fighting and being fustrated with not being able to eat anything besides very soft foods due to soreness. Thank God for eggs and pasta, especially "pastina" the tiny star shaped pasta that comes in a box. I was eating that stuff with both chicken broth and sauce by the truck load.
Things improve day by day. Now 2 weeks after the extractions I am eating most things pretty darn well until just the past few days due to a bone shard surfacing in one spot which is forcing me to chew on one side which is not the way to chew with dentures since it can make them rock loose, so I am eating slower and more cautious.
My good side is almost pain free no matter what I try to eat. I'm gonna call tommorow to see if my dentist can pull this bone fragment out so I can get on with my new life with fake teeth.
Be prepared for the first time you see yourself in the mirror with out your teeth!
You'll remember reading this when you do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
(female)

nysuzieny HB User

I just had 12 pulled Tuesday. My surgeon did an amazing job. I was sedated and was giving the "laughing" gas. My memory is very vague and don't remember much. After the procedure she gave me iv pain meds because my mother had to drive me to another dentist to have the temps put in. (i opted for dental implants). It's now Thursday and my face is still swollen an bruised up. But the pain meds, antibitics and getting rest has worked. Im just very sore and at times it still hurts. But its TRULY nothing like I thought it would be. Hand in there and please let me know how it went,

The only thing that is really bad is not EATING..i miss food

Old 11-30-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
(male)

manfellow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nysuzieny View Post
The only thing that is really bad is not EATING..i miss food
Yes.
For me eating very soft foods was ok for the first few days, then it became very fustrating.
I lost about 12lbs within the first week and a half.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:01 AM   #5
(female)

nysuzieny HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfellow View Post
Yes.
For me eating very soft foods was ok for the first few days, then it became very fustrating.
I lost about 12lbs within the first week and a half.
Thank god for ice cream. Not only does it taste good,helps with the pain.

Closed Thread