It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
(female)

sp3ak1n0ut HB User
Unhappy My tongue is still numb after getting a filling...

I went into the dentist on 28 Nov, 6 days ago today, for a replacement filling (I replaced my metal fillings on my two left bottom back teeth with the dental bond filling that is the same color of your teeth). My teeth now hurt like I have a new cavity, but only when I chew something and my tongue is still numb 6 days later! I called the dentist last Friday and told him my tongue was still numb and he told me to wait 2 weeks and see if it came back fully. He said it was "weird" and "rare" that it happens, but to wait it out and it will "eventually" go away. He also said it "may take longer than two weeks for the numbness to go away" completely.

About 3 weeks prior, on the morning of 8 Nov, I had the same done to the top left tooth (the tooth in front of the tooth in the very back (they are going to put a crown on the tooth in the very back)) and deep cleaning w/fluoride treatment (which was done after my filling) and I did not experience any numbness after the few hours that they told me it would go away. It actually lasted a little into the evening. I did however experience pain, like I had a new cavity in that tooth directly following the deep cleaning. I noticed it when I tried to eat lunch. The same happened after the filling on the 28th. I have new-cavity-like pain on the top and bottom of my left back teeth, seems to be localized, but it is sharp enough to where I cannot stand to eat on that side because it hurts to chew down.

My right top and bottom back teeth (which still have the old metal fillings) ironically are experiencing the same pain following the cleaning but I can stand to eat on that side more than the left, but it still hurts. It feels like food is getting down in my fillings, underneath them, and it's a little painful. It seems to get stronger as time passes however, especially on the left - I could stand to chew a little on that side before but don't want to try it now. Maybe when she was cleaning my teeth she pulled up my fillings a little... I don't know if that's it because these fillings are over 15 years old and I haven't gone to the dentist regularly until now, but I have never had that happen after a cleaning.

Today, 4 Dec, I went in and the dentist shaved down my fillings on the left side a little. When he did it at first there was pain just biting down, which didn't happen before, so he shaved off a little more and I didn't feel it after that - at least I don't think I did. I'm scared to chew on that side. I think I'm going to wait to eat on the left side until dinner tonight...hopefully there will be no pain on the left anymore, but something is telling me there will be. He told me to try this out for a couple weeks and that if it didn't get any better I could come back and he would shave off some more. Seems like the filling I paid for will be gone if he keeps shaving and then that will be another issue...

I do not know what is wrong and this is really frustrating.

If anyone has any advice or if this has happened to you recently or in the past (I read some old posts), please comment.

Thanks for reading...

Melissa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
cavity, filling, numb, numbness, tongue