It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
(female)

Sleepflower HB User
Advice/Support/help please. Bad teeth/young age.

Hello Everyone.

Not sure where to start this but I am so worried about my teeth I'm not sure if I am overreacting, or if my situation is as bad as it is.

I am 25, currently have about 11 fillings, all of which are pretty big and through or near the nerve. My first upper molar has been filled about 3 times, the last time I visited an emergency dentist the pain was that bad, they drilled a hole and left it with wool in to relieve the pressure. When I went to my regular dentist they said it did not need root canal or removal and that to refill it and see how it goes. Anyway, 2 years later and I have a huge abscess, on my second course of anti-biotics. The tooth has always been a problem, I feel constant pressure/funny taste and I'm always aware of it if you know what I mean? So against all my dentist wishes I have been referred to the hospital for removal. They have told me it is affecting my sinuses too and may tear a hole in the sinus.

I've just been for my checkup, two months later (still on the waiting list for the extraction) And the tooth next to it is rotting and needs refilling and another tooth needs refilling. An upper molar next to my erupting wisdom tooth is hurting which she suggests gets removed to go in place of the molar.

So I have a couple of questions?

1. Is this amount of dental trouble something to worry about at 25. I'm terrified of dentists and I look after my teeth so much. (2 brushes, two different mouth washes, floss and tooth picks and gum after every meal/snack)

2. for my upper first molar, the surgeon suggested I get a partial denture or implant to avoid any teeth moving/over eruption and bite problems. My regular dentist said my bite is awful anyway and that she doesn't think it is necessary. (my tongue rests on one side of my teeth but not on the other which I'm guessing is the iffy bite) IS it really necessary to replace one tooth??

3. My teeth are very wonky (apparently when I was younger braces where a big no due to my dental fear) When i smile it looks like I have teeth missing at the front because they are so set back. Do people really notice things like this or am i over thinking it because I'm so obsessed with my teeth ??

Sorry for all the rambling - I can't really talk to anyone at home about it. They don't understand how much it depresses me every day. Every dentist visit is just another problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
(male)

PuyallupWa HB User
Re: Advice/Support/help please. Bad teeth/young age.

Hey there

I'm kind of where you are at, maybe not quite the amount of bad teeth at 25, but I definitely have many issues and I am not 40.

In regards to one tooth missing giving you problems. I have the lower left 3 teeth missing (From my far back molars in). I don't really miss them, and it hasn't really impacted my ability to eat whatever I wanted.

I have that fear as well (For me I have a small cavity on one of my front teeth, I am also sub concious about that but I try not to think about it, I'm just looking forward to getting it all fixed however.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:17 AM   #3
(female)

Sleepflower HB User
Unhappy Re: Advice/Support/help please. Bad teeth/young age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuyallupWa View Post
Hey there

I'm kind of where you are at, maybe not quite the amount of bad teeth at 25, but I definitely have many issues and I am not 40.

In regards to one tooth missing giving you problems. I have the lower left 3 teeth missing (From my far back molars in). I don't really miss them, and it hasn't really impacted my ability to eat whatever I wanted.

I have that fear as well (For me I have a small cavity on one of my front teeth, I am also sub concious about that but I try not to think about it, I'm just looking forward to getting it all fixed however.

Thank you for getting back to me. Do you have anything to replace the 3 teeth you have? or just the gap?

I used to be happy that a problem was solved. But now, no matter what I try No matter how much I change my diet, and how well I care for my teeth, every dentist visit gets worse and worse. First it was a few fillings, then 8 more fillings, now two teeth need to go and more fillings. I feel like I will have dentures before 30

Old 03-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
(male)

PuyallupWa HB User

Sorry I'm getting back to you so late.

I just have a gap back there, i can smile and its not noticeable. I don't really miss it

Old 07-12-2014, 02:59 AM   #5
(female)

selenak HB User

Hiya!

I just came across this and I am totally in your boat. I had a big melt down the other week and was just absolutely inconsolable. I'm not one to cry, in fact, people who cry make me feel uncomfortable! So when the tears came, my Mum was in shock. She didn't really understand just how much my teeth problems really affected me. I have had so many things go wrong with my teeth I'm not even sure why I bother to keep up my good oral hygiene. (I really do).

Old 09-09-2014, 11:19 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

TMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB User

So against all my dentist wishes I have been referred to the hospital for removal.
- Why don't you do a root canal which cleans, disinfects and seals the inside of the tooth, and put a crown on it? It can get pricey but you want to hang onto your teeth for as long as you can, esp since you are so young.

1. Is this amount of dental trouble something to worry about at 25. I'm terrified of dentists and I look after my teeth so much. (2 brushes, two different mouth washes, floss and tooth picks and gum after every meal/snack)
- Yes it is definitely something to worry about. I would also worry about brushing and flossing too hard or incorrect, you can wear your gums and enamel away. Make sure you brush and floss gently and correctly, have a hygienist to show you how to do it.

2. IS it really necessary to replace one tooth??
- Yes it is necessary. But since you have bite problems and malpositioned teeth, why don't you consult an orthodontist first. They sometimes can push wisdom teeth in place of the removed rotten molar. They also can fit you with an appliance to retrain your tongue to rest where it should. I definitely think it is a good idea.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuyallupWa View Post
Hey there

Hi,

I'm interested in how you eat food such as meat or cereal on the side where you have three teeth missing.
I am on a list to have an impacted really large wisdom tooth removed on the bottom right, there is a gap next to it where a double tooth was removed many years ago. So there will be a larger gap now.
The top teeth on that side are all there but I cant see myself eating hard foods on my gum, how do you manage,

Solofelix.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:09 PM   #8
(female)

Zephyr1530 HB User
Smile Re: Advice/Support/help please. Bad teeth/young age.

Hi there. So i had a tooth problem a few weeks ago, well, more of a mouth problem. I started getting bad toothache when i was laying down in bed at night (only when laying down) i thought it was sensitive teeth, so i was using sensitive toothpaste like a mad man. Then it got so bad i couldn't sleep at night, because i had to sleep sitting straight up.
My Dentist was all booked up until 5 days later, i tried to wait but that same night i couldn't take it anymore, i was in pain 24/7 and the only thing that would relieve me was cold water. I ended up going to see him as an emergency (he told me to come in in the morning before he saw his first patient).
At this time i would like to point out, i am 24 now. I already had 13 fillings and 1 extraction because of an abscess. I have also had gum disease twice now. The last time i went there was 5 years prior. The truth is i was absolutely terrified of going, i actually have borderline Agoraphobia and still suffer from it to this day. I was in so much pain i didn't even care if i had to go to the other side of the world to sort it. I was on a full course of anti-biotics which got rid of the pain.
I am ashamed to say, when i was a teenager i had no interest in brushing my teeth, which is where i got all my cavities from in the first place, and which gave me 2 abscesses and gum disease.
He also told me if i didn't keep my teeth in good condition i will lose them by the time i'm 40. He gave my top teeth an amazing clean and refilled one of my fillings, i went back a couple of days later and did the exact same thing on my lower teeth, filling included.

I will try and answer your questions, from my point of view as i understand how scary it can be.

1) It can be so worrying, but it could be that the majority is, age is on your side. There is such a thing as brushing too much, no more than twice a day for flossing, mouthwash and brushing. Even brushing just after you've eaten can cause more harm than good. Imagine what acid does to the enamel of your teeth, it softens it, a lot of food contains acidity. If you brush straight after you're going to wear the enamel down even faster. Brushing too hard can also be hell for your gums and even cause them to recede, gum problems can cause a hell of a lot of trouble with your teeth. I know you're probably feeling like you're obsessing and you probably are, and maybe it's giving you some form of anxiety, if so i was in exactly the same boat and i really do understand.

3) Surprisingly my teeth don't actually look that bad, i feel like they should look bad. However, when i first had gum disease my gums receded and i have a visible space only at the top of my two front teeth and a small space in between all of my front teeth at the top. I was so self aware about smiling. I learnt to get over it after i realized that the majority of people didn't really care. If they did, **** 'em, they're not the type of people you want to be around anyway! Everyone has problems, some of them just can't be helped. A man or a woman that cant lose weight because of hypothyroidism, or a physical deformity they have had from birth or something like Downs Syndrome etc. If people give you a hard time over something you were born with then they are pretty shallow people. I also noticed, the more you obsess the more people notice you are trying to hide something!

I hope i have given at least a tiny bit of familiarity or that you are not alone. Maybe even give you the smallest bit of comfort. I hope so. Try and be optimistic and stop worrying yourself sick!

Reply Reply

Tags
depression, extraction, fillings