It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
(male)

AlmostGeniusGuy HB User
Recovery after tooth extraction & sinus hole

I had a tooth extracted 10 weeks ago. It had a long root into my sinus cavity. As expected, air flowed freely for 3 days between mouth & sinus but began to close. It only hurt when I'd speak words with f's and p's which fill your mouth with air before pushing it out (and into the sinus hole, thereby vibrating the new bone tissue) or make sounds like mmm that vibrate the bone and soft tissue.

After a week, air no longer flowed. But at 10 weeks, with the tooth socket nearly filled with most of the bone now regrow but the gum not quite closed, the discomfort while speaking stopped but air again seems to flow easliy if I suck on the area to remove juice or water.

Is anyone familiar with this kind of recovery? Is this a setback or are soft tissues about to connect, possibly allowing air flow as they do? Or am I likely after all, to require the surgery to physically close the hole to do what nature failed to do, and go thru this all again?

Thanks to anyone who can answer. And my apologies for being so verbose.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

riptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB User
Re: Recovery after tooth extraction & sinus hole

You should have had the socket stitched and plugged after the extraction. You should go back and have this done, but in the meantime do not blow your nose or you will blow out the blood clot and delay healing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
(male)

AlmostGeniusGuy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by riptoff View Post
You should have had the socket stitched and plugged after the extraction. You should go back and have this done, but in the meantime do not blow your nose or you will blow out the blood clot and delay healing.
Thanks, tho I don't think that is right. The surgeon didn't plug it for whatever reason. That aside, there was never any bleeding or nose blowing for 5 weeks. This started after 9 or 10 weeks, well after healing was moving along. I guess it will have to be plugged, who knows! The thing I'm most sure about is dentistry sucks and is as close to being a fraud as anything can be... at least from all the failures I've seen in 50+ years.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:52 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

If you are an 'almost genius' you should be able to criticise dentists in a constructive way and explain why you think dentistry is a fraud.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
(male)

AlmostGeniusGuy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by riptoff View Post
If you are an 'almost genius' you should be able to criticise dentists in a constructive way and explain why you think dentistry is a fraud.
Thanks, but funny you should mention that. By the way, I remembered why the surgeon didn't plug the hole: because best to let the bone regenerate and be solid and let the soft tissue close around it. If it doesn't, then plug it. The bone will be stronger if it grows new tissue.

About the other point, I've never held back telling dentists what I think. They've told me I brush wrong for 40 years. But when I show them what I do, they say "looks fine to me". I ask if it's just my metabolism. They don't know but they want to push fluoride on me as a preventive, but I grew up on fluoridated water and I have bad teeth anyway. So I asked for copies of the studies that prove Fluoride prevents decay so I can let a statistician verify the data. No dentist ever had it or said they could get it. I wonder why.. not really.

I've needed 13 root canals in my 50 years (since age 40) and after losing 2 of them to decay recently, I asked why I was told they were to be permanent when decay developed under the crowns. Lousy dentistry I was told with one (could be), the other just fate. So I suggested that dentists should be paid according to outcome over time rather than by procedures performed, after all, I always had to work late with no extra pay when my projects at work didn't work correctly. They didn't like the idea.

Thanks for taking the interest. I hope this provides some insight and entertainment value for you or someone else. It IS all true.

The Following User Says Thank You to AlmostGeniusGuy For This Useful Post:
riptoff (12-18-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Your comments will be of great interest to dental professionals who may visit this site. Regarding fluoride, there are reams of info available on the net.

Closed Thread

Tags
dental care, extraction, holes, regrowth