It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
(female)

sudzy HB User
Question Preventative pulling of 2nd Molar, is it necessary?

Due to gum disease, my second molar on the bottom right side was pulled one year ago. I had pockets of 5 plus and the dentist recommended pulling it to prevent the complications associated with deep pockets. All my other teeth are in good condition with few fillings, and pockets being 3 in my other second molars. I never had an active infection that I know of. Yesterday I went for a cleaning and exam and was then told that he recommends pulling the R top second molar. I asked if it was because of deep pockets and he said, no, that they were 3, but he recommends pulling because, "the tooth is now a liability...it serves no purpose...since it has no opposing molar it cannot grind food and food can get trapped in it." It can get cavities and cause trouble for the first molar next to it. I asked him why he didn't remove it a year ago and he said, "well, you were a new patient and I didn't want to scare you."
He did ask me first if I was planning on getting an implant where the second molar on the bottom R had been removed last year, and I told him, "no, I am doing just find with one molar now." Then he suggested the removal of the top molar.
I have never had a history of many cavities, in fact, I have only two fillings in my mouth. Losing that first tooth a year ago, scared me enough to increase my cleaning schedule and add water picking regularly. In fact, this visit, the hygenist told me I had hardly any plague buildup.
My question is this.....is it prudent to remove this molar when it is a good molar and not giving me any trouble at all. I understood the removal of the first molar, because of the deep pockets but should I get this one removed?. At the present time, I cannot afford an implant, but maybe I might be in a different position in the future to want one or would I need that molar to use as an attachment for a bridge? Can anyone suggest? Thanks.
I

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

tanyasue HB Usertanyasue HB Usertanyasue HB User
Re: Preventative pulling of 2nd Molar, is it necessary?

I think the dentist is blowing smoke. I've been missing the lower right molar on one side for close to 20 years (I'm 38) and 6 years on the other. My upper molars are still just fine.

Also, they normally treat gum disease at first instead of pulling teeth. I wouldn't so anything without a second opinion. I also don't see why you can't wait to see if the tooth has issue, and address it then. I wouldn't do anything without a second opinion.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User

I can't see the purpose of removing a healthy tooth, yes it's probably not doing a lot with no opposing molar, but that doesn't seem like a valid reason to get rid of it IMO. As you said, you may decide to get an implant later so why remove a tooth that may become useful at some point?

Last edited by captjane; 12-21-2012 at 02:35 AM.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
(female)

WW2ER HB UserWW2ER HB UserWW2ER HB User

get a second opinion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captjane View Post
I can't see the purpose of removing a healthy tooth, yes it's probably not doing a lot with no opposing molar, but that doesn't seem like a valid reason to get rid of it IMO. As you said, you may decide to get an implant later so why remove a tooth that may become useful at some point?

Old 01-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
(female)

sudzy HB User

Thanks all for your input. I have decided to keep the molar for now, since it is a good tooth. Again, thanks.

Closed Thread