It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
(male)

Dannpa HB User
Root Canal Treatment advice needed. Stressed!

I started developing a minor tooth ache on Monday, which progressed to quite severe pain by Wednesday.

I went to see my dentist who confirmed that the nerve in my molar was dead and that I needed a root canal treatment.
He then booked me in for Monday to do this.

I did done a little reading into RCT and found that there is a higher chance of success if carried out by an Endodontist. But at more that double the price of my regular dentist, is an Endodontist that much better than a normal dentist? Anyone here had one done by a regular dentist? What was your experience like?

If I decide to go with the Endo I will need my records and X-rays to pass onto the Endo, what is the best way of getting these without offending the my regular dentist as I would like to go back to him for the crown.

Also, the Endo would not be available to perform the RCT until end of next week, will this cause problems for the dead tooth? ie. is it at more risk of infections?
If so, is my dentist able to prescribe antibiotics to calm it?

At the moment I'm managing the pain with ibuprofen.

I'm only 30 and the last couple of days I've been depressed at the thought that I have pretty much lost a tooth, and the prospect of having a major surgery done to my teeth.
Any help much appreciated.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
(female)

WW2ER HB UserWW2ER HB UserWW2ER HB User
Re: Root Canal Treatment advice needed. Stressed!

There are general dentists who are just as skilled at doing RCTs as an Endodontist. An Endodontist has gone on to specialize in treating root canals, but a general dentist can also take continuing education classes in treatment of root canals.

If you feel comfortable, discuss this with your general dentist, and hopefully he won't have an issue regarding the referral to an Endodontist. It shouldn't be a big issue for him\her.

Waiting a week should not be a big deal depending upon your symptoms and if you are on antibiotics if needed.

A tooth that has a root canal in it, and has a crown on it, should last you for many many years down the road.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
(female)

michellegrl HB User
Re: Root Canal Treatment advice needed. Stressed!

evey 6 months you get free xrays so if u can wait and go to the other doctor then do it that way,

or remember its your teeth ,
spend a ittle more and get more years of use of it...

be smart!

Closed Thread