It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
(female)

j9insa HB User
Severe pain after wisdom tooth extractiion

I had 3 of my wisdom tooth removed under general anestheasia, 2 of which were impacted (the bottom ones). I was in some pain afyerwards but could manage it with the ibuprofen and copa-dol tablets I got over the counter (for some reason my surgeon who is also my dentist never gave me a prescription). About 40 hours after the surgery the pain got really bad. It is now almost 3 days after surgery and the pain is unbearable - even the painkillers don't really work anymore it just helps to make the pain a bit more bearable. As soon as they start wearing off (about every 4 hours) the pain gets so exruciating I can't stop crying. It feels like immense pressure on my entire jaw as well as radiating pain in and around the bottom two extraction sites. My cheeks are swollen and tender and I can hardly open my mouth - have only been able to take in drinking joghurt and soup since the surgery. I also have a really bad taste in my moth that won't go away.I've done everything I was supposed to in order to prromote healing - I don't smoke, haven't used a straw, gently rinse with salt water a few times per day, but the pain just keeps getting worse!

No one I know has had a similar experience and most people told me it would be no big deal to have my wisdom teeth removed. But I can honestly say I've never experienced so much pain and agony in my life! Is there anyone who has had a similar experience? Please help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
(female)

Kimmi7 HB User
Re: Severe pain after wisdom tooth extractiion

Please go back to your os as soon as you can and let them look at it. It might be possible that you have a dry socket. They can pack it with some material that will give you instant relief if it is in fact a dry socket. From what I understand a bad taste and/or smell after extractions is not unusual but it would be best to have it looked at just to make sure there is no infection. So sorry you are having a rough time. Everybody is different. Some people have no problems while others do. Hopefully this will get resolved in a timely manner.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
(female)

j9insa HB User

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to call my dentist as soon as his practice opens today to get an appointment asap - this has been the longest weekend of my life!

Old 01-14-2013, 06:55 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

buggley HB User

Yes it happened to me too...........mine ended up being dry socket. The dentist ended up puting clove oil on a strip of gauze and packing it where the tooth had been, it helped to numb the nerve endings that were causing the extreem pain. If you havnt already gone to the dentist, you could buy the clove oil yourself a gauze. I'm pretty sure they sell clove oil at healthfood stores. Good luck

Last edited by Administrator; 01-14-2013 at 08:10 PM.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
(female)

j9insa HB User

Thanks so much for the advice! Called the dentist this morning and he says that my teeth were impacted horizentally, so the extraction process was particulalry difficult and traumatic, hence the reason for the pain. He gave me a stronger perscription and said it should take anything between 5 and 14 days for the wounds to heal and for me to feel better ... Also got some clove oil from the pharmacy Hope I get better soon this is the worst pain I have EVER experienced! Really miss a good night's sleep and can't wait 'till I am well enough to bite into a juicy hamburger ;-)

Old 01-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
(female)

Kimmi7 HB User

I'm so glad you got some stronger medication. I'm surprised they didn't even want to look at it though. If you don't get any relief from the pain go and see them. It could be a dry socket. The clove oil with gauze will relieve that though. Hope you feel better soon.

Closed Thread

Tags
pain after extraction, wisdom tooth extraction