It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
(male)

Josh956 HB User
Root Canal/Denal Bridge Questions

Hello Everyone,

I had a bridge in the bottom left side of my mouth, attached to 19 and 21. For those that don't know teeth numbers, the bridge was attached to a bicuspid and the molar second to the back (not counting the wisdom tooth). The bridge came detached from 19 (the molar), so I went in to have it looked at. My prosthodontist determined the bridge was indeed loose, and tried to remove it from tooth 21 (the bicuspid) rather aggressively using a tapping tool and some kind of pneumatic device. He didn't have much success, and I was scheduled for a followup appointment in 5 weeks.

A few days later, however, I began having pain again. I came in about 5 days after the original appointment, and rather than trying to remove the bridge again, my prosthodontist simply sectioned it (cut the middle part out) and re-cemented the part of the bridge that was loose initially.

Everything felt fine at first, but about 3 days later I started experiencing more pain, which I originally believed was in the molar because it was discovered I had some decay on that tooth. About 5 days after the bridge was sectioned, however, the bicuspid became very irritated, and even the slightest touch led to excruciating pain. I have seen an endodontist (who I was conveniently referred to by my prosthodontist), and he determined I need a root canal on the bicuspid.

Now for my questions. Is it possible that the trauma due to the original attempt to remove the bridge may have caused the bicuspid to become irritated, therefore requiring a root canal? Also, should I approach my prosthodontist and ask him to cover part of the cost of the root canal procedure? Do I even have that option, or is my prosthodontist covered in situations such as this?

Sorry for such a long post. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Root Canal/Denal Bridge Questions

Did you mean you had a bridge that was cemented on the anchor teeth which came loose? I'm wondering how the dentist would remove only one portion of the bridge without breaking the bridge and didn't know it could be cemented back together and hold. I don't know if the trauma could cause the problems your having and I doubt you could get the dentist to pay a portion to repair it.

I have an existing bridge and the front came loose. It was determined that the posts put in the tooth after the root canal came loose because the crowns didn't have enough tooth width to really support the bridge but it was firmly cemented onto the tooth. So it now rocks back and forth. I shouldn't have had it put in. I'm not sure what you can do now but I'll never get a bridge again. Both anchor teeth on the original bridge got loads of decay just due to the design of a bridge even though I brushed and flossed continually. That bridge was removed and I opted again to have a replacement bridge. This one came loose as described above. So now I'm looking at implants. I hope you can find a solution to your situation.

Closed Thread