It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
(female)

RayRayD HB User
Ear 'blocked' 1 week after upper molar extraction

Hi,

I had my upper molar (just before wisdom on the left side) removed a week ago. It had previously been filled and had broken, so my dentist thought it best to remove it.

It took about 10 -12 minutes for the removal and the pressure needed to remove it was huge. There were three roots and they were quite long and slightly curved, which is why it was so difficult to remove them.

My dentist prescribed Flagyl as an antibiotic to prevent an infection, and I finished the course two days ago, but since the tooth was removed my left ear has been 'blocked' and I can't 'pop' it to equalise the pressure, as this hurts the ear and the part of my mouth where the tooth was removed from.

The wisdom tooth that was behind the tooth that was removed is also quite tender feeling when I bite down and bring it into contact with my other teeth since the removal, but I'm guessing this will go away in another few days. I have also developed a sore throat on the left side in the last 2 days (but this could just be a cold).

I'm just wondering if anyone knows what I should do about my ear, because it is quite annoying and sore, and I don't want to leave it any longer in case it is something serious.

Thanks!
Rachel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
(female)

dlachapel HB User
Hi Rachel,

I'm not sure about the blocked ear, but all sorts of things can happen after any dental work really. For me, I just had a ton of dental work done. 3 roots canals and fillings. It was done over the span of about 3 months. I kid you not, everytime I had work done, the next day the side that I had work done on my throat would be really sore. Lasts a couple days for me.

The ear thing is probably normal. Consider the trauma that your mouth and nerves had gone through and how it's all connected. Give it a couple days and I bet you will feel better

If not, no harm in calling the dentist. It's very likely nothing serious.

Hang in there!

Danielle

The Following User Says Thank You to dlachapel For This Useful Post:
RayRayD (02-07-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2013, 01:14 AM   #3
(female)

RayRayD HB User
Re: Ear 'blocked' 1 week after upper molar extraction

Thanks Danielle, it was a tough extraction, and my ear is just so annoying!

Closed Thread

Tags
extraction, pain after extraction