It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2013, 06:08 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User
Help With Partials

I have been through a lot of teeth issues over the last eight months. Four root canals, followed by three of those being extracted (the hardest emotionally was a front top tooth), and now new top and bottom partials. I have a few questions about the partials, even though I have been through this before!

Is it normal to go back and back to get them to fit comfortably? I really think my dentist is getting frustrated with me, but there are so many areas that needed fixing. This was difficult too because the two partials were made at different times. They keep saying I have a sensitive mouth, but wow, after eight months of lots of dental work who wouldn't? I get embarrassed calling all the time, but can't continue to live in pain. One major issue was settled yesterday when they removed the metal bar that ran across the top of my mouth. When inquiring why it was there and causing me pain since December, the answer was for strength to the partial. Well, I think I will take having to replace it in five to ten years to living in constant pain. And, they did file it down and file it down about five times before I said to saw it off! The result - MUCH better!

Is it normal for them to feel tight? I am a person that would rather have them loose than feeling like they are pushing all my teeth together as they are now. Will my mouth adjust to this over time?

Is it normal to have your mouth feel very tired and achy after a day of wearing them when they are new? My jaw feels very achy even after wearing them for a short time. Will that get better?

And, lastly, I guess I just need some moral support. I have been down this road twice before, but I am weary this time. I know I am a person who can withstand a lot, and despite my dentist and the office being very good and caring, I am getting the feeling now that they are a bit fed up with me. Not easy to handle emotionally when this has been an emotionally hard time any way. Everyone tells me that I am paying for this and it needs to be done right, sensitive mouth or not, but I am someone who takes things to heart and feels bad. My emotions, at this point, are a bit sensitive too! Eight months of hurting and not living normally is enough! And, I don't really need another opinion or a new dentist. Have already done that, and this practice is the best in the area.

Thanks for any help you can give.

glowing4

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User
Re: Help With Partials

Glowing- yes, it is quite normal to need multiple adjustments as you get used to your new dentures. I never had experience with partials but have heard from others that in the beginning they always felt like they were pushing the teeth they clamped onto around.
Make a list of your complaints or observations and share it with the dentist- keep going back until you are happy.

I am not sure what I can do to give you moral support but you know this process takes time. Hang in there and give me a yell if you need to discuss anything.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

I just knew you would be there and thank you so much for being there. You are an amazing support to all on here and have been a major support to me many times. Thank you, thank you.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
(female)

cdaus HB User

I have a partial. It's really comfortable but I don't wear it all the time because it broke a couple of times and has been glued and reglued and I really don't want to go through getting a new one because the dentist has to do a lot of 'tweaking'.
And also because of the cost.

Last edited by cdaus; 04-01-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Reply Reply